Just got 'bator... itching to hatch!!!

onawhimfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 21, 2011
Klingerstown, PA
I just got a used hovabator from my uncle and I'm DYING to set some eggs!!! I have to wait though... I'm hoping to set on Feb. 6th. For my first hatch I'm planning on setting my own backyard eggs. I have 6 RSL, 1 EE, 1RIR and 1 Delaware hens and they are all in with my RSL roo. I think I'm going to set a dozen total with as many blue EE eggs as I can gather. First ?, any suggestions as what I should do with my new 'bator to get everything ready? and second, anyone have an idea of what the EE eggs should come out as? I would like for them to be olive egg layers, but not sure if that is going to happen??? I can't seem to be able to figure out this chicken genetics!!

Thanks for any and all info!!

well i could sugest cleaning it first and testing that everything works. then before you set the eggs plug it in fill the one trough with water and run it for 6-8 hours bebore puting eggs in so u can stabelize and make sure temp and everything is ok. As for the EE i have no clue never had any EE's. but good luck and happy hatching. If u have any other questions about your bator u can pm me and there are also many other hovabator lovers on this site.

If it is a used incubator, I would definitely clean it out good, bleach water works great if it is a styrofoam one. For Oliver Eggers, I cross my Black Copper Marans rooster with my Ameraucana hens. I have never owned any EE, but if your EE hens lay green eggs, then you will need a Black Copper Marans rooster or some other breed of dark brown egg-layer rooster to cross with them. Hope this helps.
big_smile.png

**If it is a used incubator, I would definitely clean it out good, bleach water works great if it is a styrofoam one.**

I have cleaned the bator out well. I used simple green instead of bleach though... I hope that is ok?

**but if your EE hens lay green eggs, then you will need a Black Copper Marans rooster or some other breed of dark brown egg-layer rooster to cross with them**

My EE hen lays blue eggs... so maybe the resulting hens from this cross would lay green eggs?

** before you set the eggs plug it in fill the one trough with water and run it for 6-8 hours bebore puting eggs in so u can stabelize and make sure temp and everything is ok.**

I have set it up and ran it for 4 hrs and it came up to temp (99-100) within about 1.5 hrs and stayed there with no problems. I did not put water in it though... I will need to do that next.

Thanks for the great info!! I haven't even set my first eggs and I'm already an addict!! LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom