just got home from the vet....

He is adjusting well. He has gotten down the perching thing on one leg but if he is on your finger he is still pretty wobbly. The only one he will even let take him out of his cage right now is me. And he is not afraid of toys either. He has shown alot of improvement!

He went for his check up saturday and they said it looks good and to keep up with the meds and they would like to see him every week to check it and re-wrap it. Bad thing is everytime they wrap it it is $42. He chewed it off last night and I made a makeshift one of my own using the same things the vet did. The only thing I didnt have was the cream they put on the foot before they wrapped it so seeing tonight if I can go by the pet store and see what they sell so I can just wrap it myself and just take him for check ups. Anyone have suggestions on what to buy?

I will post a picture later of his foot if he has the wrap off again when I get home from work.

my heart breaks for you. that is so sad :( i dont know what i would do if one of my 5 parrots had that happen :( conures sure love those little tent things and i think they can be good because some birds just love to hide in holes. things like that can happen with birds, i know i tend to check everything that my birds have in their cages often to look for wear and tear because i fear things like this. i have known birds that have the same thing happen with rope perches too. i am so sorry this happened :( i would place a thick layer of paper on the bottom of the cage to help soften any falls he may have. i hope he recovers well :hugs

my heart breaks for you. that is so sad
sad.png
i dont know what i would do if one of my 5 parrots had that happen
sad.png
conures sure love those little tent things and i think they can be good because some birds just love to hide in holes. things like that can happen with birds, i know i tend to check everything that my birds have in their cages often to look for wear and tear because i fear things like this. i have known birds that have the same thing happen with rope perches too. i am so sorry this happened
sad.png
i would place a thick layer of paper on the bottom of the cage to help soften any falls he may have. i hope he recovers well
hugs.gif

Im really good about keeping the frays and stuff cut on all of their toys but this was the actual straps holding the hut to the top of the cage that he got his leg caught in. They were thick straps to prevent that. Really not sure how he did it. He has not fallen yet and the vet told me not to cut his wings any more so that he can be a little more mobile. I was happ last night to see him use his beak and good foot to get around instead of trying to use the other. He is getting the hang of things. Thank you
hugs.gif

Gosh, I am sorry to read about your little guy. I have known people who have had birds with missing foot or even entire leg. They always ended up keeping their feathered friend in something that wasn't a cage that had to be climbed to get to perches.

Most used a large aquarium with screen top, food and water dishes or holders at floor level or beak level. They had a few perches only a couple inches from the floor.

Their birds all seemed to be doing well.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad to hear he is doing alright. Birds tend to get themselves into all kinds if problems, no matter how safe their environment is. I wouldn't beat yourself over the accident at all. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job with him.

He is adjusting well. He has gotten down the perching thing on one leg but if he is on your finger he is still pretty wobbly. The only one he will even let take him out of his cage right now is me. And he is not afraid of toys either. He has shown alot of improvement!

He went for his check up saturday and they said it looks good and to keep up with the meds and they would like to see him every week to check it and re-wrap it. Bad thing is everytime they wrap it it is $42. He chewed it off last night and I made a makeshift one of my own using the same things the vet did. The only thing I didnt have was the cream they put on the foot before they wrapped it so seeing tonight if I can go by the pet store and see what they sell so I can just wrap it myself and just take him for check ups. Anyone have suggestions on what to buy?

I will post a picture later of his foot if he has the wrap off again when I get home from work.
See if you can buy the cream that the vet uses and a bandage roll. Then if your not sure how to wrap it try looking up a video or asking the vet to show you.

I had a singer canary that lost his leg due to a improper banding. He did fine hopped around and sang for all the world to enjoy! Your bird will be fine. I would ask the vet for some salve and just tell him you cannot afford to come every week, I am sure he knows how hard it can be. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom