Just got muscovys and there not eating alot!?

Spartan117

Chirping
Mar 11, 2021
I'm new to muscovys, just got them 2 days ago, they had a long three hour drive, in back of truck, stayed warm through the trip, but came from salt lake at 6000ft and warm 32 degree degrees farenheit tempratures, and went to 8600 ft and 15 farenheit temps at night, they, were kept ourside without heat, but now we got them in dogloos, with straw and a water bowl, and a mix of mallard feed and scratch, but I'm scared there not doing well with six of them the water and food should go fast right? also they aren't coming out much into the shed that there in with 10 by 15 foot area Penned off from the rest of the shop. They have straw outside doggloos, and I'm sure its stress, but what can i do to help them out more, we are going to give them an encloser and yard in the firest after snow is gone, but
Got to keep them in the windowed shed till then, there all around 3 to 5 years old and healthy before we got them, seem fine, but hate us, and like i said barely eating, ive also picked up oyster shells and grit for them, but am i over worried and the stress is to blame? Help

It's Probably Because They Had A Long Trip & It's A New Place. Give Them A Few Days To Settle In. When I First Got Mine They Didn't Want Anything To Do With Me, Terrified Actually. But With A Bag Full Of Mealworms Good Food & Spending Time With Them, I Have To Say They Are All Spoiled & Love My Company. So Much So They Follow Me Around Like Spoiled Puppies...

Thank you so much i figured its that, plus there probably cold because its been 10 to 15 degrees at night and 30 at the highest in the day. But been closing in the doggloos with blankets over tops and doorway of doggloos

It's Probably Because They Had A Long Trip & It's A New Place. Give Them A Few Days To Settle In. When I First Got Mine They Didn't Want Anything To Do With Me, Terrified Actually. But With A Bag Full Of Mealworms Good Food & Spending Time With Them, I Have To Say They Are All Spoiled & Love My Company. So Much So They Follow Me Around Like Spoiled Puppies...
Thank you i figured it was that, but it could be the cold to right? I mean its cold at night and stays cold throughout the day, but we have been doing comforters at night over the doggloos so it helps, but should i try and place water and food inside that bridge of blankets so they can eat and drink at the calming times of night?

I Doubt The Cold Would Bother Them They May Take A Few Days To Get Use To It But I'm Sure They Will Be Fine. I'm At 7500 Ft. And Mine Came From 5,280 Feet. They Were Fine With The Change. Give Them Some Time. And I Doubt They Need The Blankets Over The Houses. They Are Well Insulated. Don't Worry They Should Start Eating Soon...What Are You Feeding Them?

I Doubt The Cold Would Bother Them They May Take A Few Days To Get Use To It But I'm Sure They Will Be Fine. I'm At 7500 Ft. And Mine Came From 5,280 Feet. They Were Fine With The Change. Give Them Some Time. And I Doubt They Need The Blankets Over The Houses. They Are Well Insulated. Don't Worry They Should Start Eating Soon...What Are You Feeding Them?
Ive been doing a bag of 21 percent turkey and mallard feed, chicken scratch, and just got ouster shell and grit! Threw them some cooked chicken, and some cabbage but really there just barely touching the feed, thank you so much!

Ive been doing a bag of 21 percent turkey and mallard feed, chicken scratch, and just got ouster shell and grit! Threw them some cooked chicken, and some cabbage but really there just barely touching the feed, thank you so much!
I would try to just get a duck or all flock feed if there is one available near you. Adding some dried mealworms into the bowl of food might encourage them to eat a little bit more, but it most likely will just take them a few days to adjust to their new home. When you mix in the chicken scratch try to make sure the chicken scratch is only about 5% of the total feed, or just offer the scratch as a treat on the side, but not too much of it.

Back
Top Bottom