Just got my 'bator! (now what?) Pics and questions on how it works

IHeartCapnHook

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
North Dallas
So my BYC buddy sends me a link to the local CL with this incubator. For the price, I couldn't say no. TODAY I PICKED UP MY FIRST INCUBATOR!!!!!
celebrate.gif

However, with no instruction book, I'm sort of at a loss.
idunno.gif

So here it is... It appears to read GQF Model 1500. It's kinda stinky and in my bedroom
hu.gif

IMG_8394.jpg

How in the heck do you read this thing if it's both a thermo & humidity reader in one? How would I change temps if I needed to?? Isn't there supposed to be a something to put water in to make humidity?
IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8398.jpg

There's no little basket thing up there? I don't even know what the basket thing is for
hide.gif

IMG_8399.jpg

So, it's plugged in. The fan is running. It's stinky. Turner goes both way. I just set it to auto to make sure it's working properly.

It also came with a TON of the little racks to hold eggs... big ones, small ones for quail. some for duck eggs. They threw in a bunch of dirty Styrofoam egg cartons and 5 old books on chicken raising.

SSOOO..... anyone interested in helping me figure out how to use this stinky ole machine?!?!??!?!

Unless I'm terribly confused (and that DOES happen A LOT), I can't find the manual on the website. It's an old model made before 2007 when they revamped it and made it digital. I've been looking on google and can't seem to find it...
hu.gif

Quote:

Its just a big heated box, so think of it as an oven. You already know the turner trays work.

Plug it in and let it run while you gather a digital remote probe thermometer, hygrometer and a few water weasels.
Put the temp probe into a water weasel and set it inside on one of the trays

Adjust the temp to get the weasel to 100 degrees - odds are it's already close.
Monitor the humidity on the hygrometer, and shoot for between 40-60 Rh. Add a bit of water to a shallow pan in the bottom until you get it in this range.

Next, clean the stinky thing out and rinse with a mild bleach solution to disinfect.

Now, read this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Now, read it again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you've done all that, you are ready to hatch.

It is similar but not the same. Mine doesn't have a temperature control??????

Good news, it went from 96' to 102'... which would cook my eggs
sad.png

Bad news... there seems to be quite a few pieces missing... like the

wafer thing
humidity bucket
hygrometer wick
hatching tray
and whatever else isn't there..

Question... any idea HOW to change the temperature with this thing? It's obviously NOT like the one in the picture????

Also, are these other things that I'm missing necessary??

HOLY SMOKES!!! I have no idea what you just said! But from the link from kandy, I can tell you that I don't have all those fancy things that you just mentioned??? I don't have a digital remote probe unless that's what the little round thing at the top is? And I don't have a hygrometer??? And what is a water weasel???

hide.gif

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom