Just got my chickens! So excited! :)

MarinaV

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Hello, everybody! I've got yesterday 8 Tetra Americana 19 weeks old chickens! So excited! Got first egg today! They are so beautiful and cool! One thing that puzzles me, they "groom" each other so much! I never new that chickens do this. I hope this is something normal and does not mean that they have some kind of "flees" :) Anybody can say something about it? Thank you!

My chickens groom all the time. They preen. You can check for lice by parting the feathers and looking for white clumps of eggs and bugs.

Completely normal what they are doing though.

welcome-byc.gif

I am eggcited for you! New babies are so much fun. Wait until they sense sunlight. Mine look dead by splaying out a leg and stretching out a wing and lay at odd angles. I get concerned and then they move and kind of look at me like....What? They are fine but they love the sun!

Caroline

Thank you, Kelsey! What a relief! :)
And thank you, Caroline! You made me smile! That's what they are doing to me all day today! I think I should stop watching them too close! LOL

Greetings from Texas! Yes, grooming one another is very normal hen behavior at our house. In fact, every afternoon they preen themselves and one another. I've even watched them yank out loose feathers from each other at molting time.

Hello, :frow and Welcome to BYC! Congratulations on your new chickens and your first egg!

Back
Top Bottom