Just got my first goat. Feed question

jtwest

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
The seller told me " a balance of grain and alfalfa hay and salt lick". I went to the store and found goat feed pellets. Is this an "all in one" product or do I need more?
Shes a half pygmy half "milk" goat

Don't get a salt lick. It provides table salt, sodium chloride, only, and absolutely no other necessary trace minerals. You need to give quality loose goat mineral mix. Mineral that is in 'loose' form is the best, it actually has less table salt than a block. You see, table salt is necessary to hold the block together. But it also means that they don't eat enough to meet their mineral requirements before they stop, because they've filled up on table salt. Is this making sense? A loose mineral encourages that they eat enough minerals in order to be healthy.

To feed a loose mineral, it is easiest to attach a small feed pan to a shelter wall, where it stays dry. Put some loose mineral in the pan, and replace as it is licked up. Do NOT get a mineral that says it is for goats and sheep. This will not have enough copper for a goat to be healthy. Goats need levels of copper that will kill a sheep, so it is obviously left out when a mineral is made for both.

As for feeding, a goat based grain and alfalfa hay is great to make up most of the diet. Alfalfa especially, if she is pregnant or lactating. Make any changes to her diet slowly. So that grain you got (or will get), only give her a tiny bit to start and work up to larger amounts if she needs it.

Hay is a critical part of a goat diet. It should be the bulk of her diet. It is their 'roughage' that keeps the rumen healthy.

And lastly, it sounds like you are keeping her alone. Goats are herd animals, and should never be kept alone, without another herd animal for company. If you want her to be healthy and stress free, plan on bringing home another goat promptly. I can't believe that the breeder would sell a goat to be a single goat, that is highly irresponsible. If a second goat is not feasible for whatever reason, then you should reconsider keeping any goats. Two are not much more work than one, and keeping one and allowing her to suffer is cruel.

Last edited:
Don't get a salt lick. It provides table salt, sodium chloride, only, and absolutely no other necessary trace minerals. You need to give quality loose goat mineral mix. Mineral that is in 'loose' form is the best, it actually has less table salt than a block. You see, table salt is necessary to hold the block together. But it also means that they don't eat enough to meet their mineral requirements before they stop, because they've filled up on table salt. Is this making sense? A loose mineral encourages that they eat enough minerals in order to be healthy.

To feed a loose mineral, it is easiest to attach a small feed pan to a shelter wall, where it stays dry. Put some loose mineral in the pan, and replace as it is licked up. Do NOT get a mineral that says it is for goats and sheep. This will not have enough copper for a goat to be healthy. Goats need levels of copper that will kill a sheep, so it is obviously left out when a mineral is made for both.

As for feeding, a goat based grain and alfalfa hay is great to make up most of the diet. Alfalfa especially, if she is pregnant or lactating. Make any changes to her diet slowly. So that grain you got (or will get), only give her a tiny bit to start and work up to larger amounts if she needs it.

Hay is a critical part of a goat diet. It should be the bulk of her diet. It is their 'roughage' that keeps the rumen healthy.

And lastly, it sounds like you are keeping her alone. Goats are herd animals, and should never be kept alone, without another herd animal for company. If you want her to be healthy and stress free, plan on bringing home another goat promptly. I can't believe that the breeder would sell a goat to be a single goat, that is highly irresponsible. If a second goat is not feasible for whatever reason, then you should reconsider keeping any goats. Two are not much more work than one, and keeping one and allowing her to suffer is cruel.
So I was reading more about having goat companions. One article says it doesnt necessarily have to be a goat. I have lots of animals but not necessarily a "Herd" type animal. Not enough? Anyways just curious. I have some leads on goats for sale.

So I was reading more about having goat companions. One article says it doesnt necessarily have to be a goat. I have lots of animals but not necessarily a "Herd" type animal. Not enough?
Anyways just curious. I have some leads on goats for sale.

It needs to be a herd type animal. A dog won't work, nor will poultry, rabbits, etc. Another goat is best because of the similar dietary requirements.

For instance, if you get a sheep as a companion, you have to feed both a sheep mineral and supplement just the goat with additional copper via a copper bolus. If you feed a goat mineral, the sheep may die of copper toxicity. If you don't bolus the goat when feeding a goat sheep mineral, it will get copper deficient, which causes many health problems.

Last edited:
Out west here, there is something called "Redmond Real Salt." It is mined in Utah and comes in loose mineral or natural chunks of salt with minerals. It is high in betonite clay so has many naturally occurring minerals that both nourishes and cleanses as the body needs and many people swear by it and nothing else. I currently only have some for my rabbit and not the goats yet, but she loves it and is spry.

I have a 8 yr old pygmy goat that only lived with horses and dogs till last September. Yes-- I had the only goat that tried to kill all other goats. She would play with my dogs for hours, go with us on walks, jump up in the truck with my dogs to go on rides. Then when my dogs and I would leave the barn she would hop back out into the field with her horses and even sleep in the one stall with my pony. I know people may not believe me but she really was happy. I am also the only person she likes. Then May of 2013 happened and I lost 2 of her favorite horses that she spent hours playing with. I was mentally not ready to get more horses, but my field was so sad. I had two horses and a goat standing around and staring at each other. So I went out and found two little two month old baby pygmy goats and stuck them out in the field. My two horses love them and have really helped them liven up again -- and well it gives Klara something to chase and bully. She is not spry or quick anymore and can no longer get on all of her playground equipment, so the little goats get out of the way. The little goats have their own safe stall to sleep in at night. I really think getting the little goats helped everyone's depression, but if my horses did not die I do not think I would have ever gotten any more goats.
And before any one asks --- NO my goats are fed separate from the horses and no one eats anyone else's grain.

Back
Top Bottom