Just got some baby Chicks!!!!!

pnkbrry24

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
California
I was so excited that I decided to go to the feed store today instead of tomorrow.
I got seven little chicks, I put them in a cardboard box with some food(medicated feed) and water, they are 2 days old.
The box is lined with a cereal box, should I do anything else.
It's pretty hot where I live here like over 90 all of the week so far, is that okay or do they need a lamp.
I put the box by the window under the sun. Should I change there living place?

Thanks!
Tips are welcome!!

They need some soft bedding at the bottom of the box, like pine shavings. The cereal box will probably be too slick and can lead to leg issues.

I recommend clicking on the Learning Center at the top of the page and reading Chickens 101. It's a great place to learn the basics.
smile.png
Have fun!

Congratulations! Are the chicks inside your house or are they outside in a garage or shed? If they are in your house, I would assume that it isn't 90 degrees in your house and they will need a heat lamp. Also, I wouldn't put them directly under the sun, it may get too hot and they won't be able to get away from the heat. And
welcome-byc.gif

No they are outside right now, but believe me our house can get pretty hot, especially at night when we don't turn on the a/c.
I live in California and it's been on high 90's all week.

If you don't already have one, go out and buy a thermometer from TSC (or Walmart) and put it on the bottom of your brooder box.

That way you can monitor the temp for the chicks to see if it's too hot or too cold.

The heat lamp will provide a constant source of heat for them since they do not have mother hen to snuggle underneath for warmth.

Good luck with your chicks and Enjoy!

big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6692421#p6692421

-bedding-
I
used Ultra Soft Pine Shavings Right on top of the paper towels/newspaper.
(I prefer paper towels, much easier to clean and sometimes the newspaper get slippery)

-Feeding-
I put large marbles inside my water feeder, so they cannot drown in the water.

-------(Below) This is just my preference--------

-Handling-
1. For the first 3 days, touch them as little as possible. Let them get used to their new environment.
2. After 3 days have past, you can start playing with them, and holding them.
3. Finally, when they are 1 WEEK old, then you can play with them, let them get out, start to play. But very carefully!

-------(Above) This is just my preference--------

-Pasty Butt-
Pasty butts is when your chick either got too stressed from the shipping/transporting, is too hot/crowded, and/or does not have enough protein. Then their poo gets stuck to their bottom and creates a "pasty butt".

*What to do*
1. Move the heat lamp a little so they're not so hot. (JUST A LITTLE)
2. Feed them some yogurt. (mix it into their feed)

If the poop gets really stuck, then you need to take it off.

1. Take a damp wash cloth.
2. Rap it around it's bottom.
3. Wait until the poop gets softer.
4. Pull.

-Cleaning-
What I first did, was that each time they'd poop, I'd get a plastic spoon and pick it up, and throw it away. It works for like a week, then you need to throw away all the shavings and start fresh. If you're JUST going to use newspaper then you are going to have to clean it out A LOT! So I suggest to not just use newspaper.

*Water*
I changed the water every hour. But, of course, you don't need to do that For most chicks, people clean out the water like once a week. But I think once a day would be good. Depends on how old they are. The older they get, the more they splash around.

*Feed*
You can change the feed about once every week. Just until they eat it all

-Diet-
When they were little, I just used the normal feed. Once they started getting older (few weeks old) I started introducing new things, like cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal (if their poop is watery) Lettuce, corn, even cooked eggs!

-Sharp Beaks?-
Then you can let them pick at sand, or even calcium granulates! (I feed them a pinch everyday so they could have strong egg shells!)

Go get that thermometer mentioned above. Chicks need to be kept at about 95 degrees the first week of life (day and night) and then decrease it by 5 degrees each week for 4 weeks or until they are all feathered out. Also read that raising chickens thread -- it is invaluable! Make sure their water dish is very shallow. They can drown in a very small amount of water (like 1/4 inch or something crazy like that.

Have fun with your chickies!

Thanks guys I put a lamp for them last night, and surprisingly there is actually some sun out this early, so I put them in the sun.
I will be going to get some pine shavings later today for them. BTW there are 3 days old!
Great Info!!

Back
Top Bottom