Just got the 1588, now what?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Well, I checked the mail today and got my button eggs, but no hovabator (don't worry, I am going to be using the LG for the button eggs, it's already running). Then I get home from work tonight and there it is, two boxes strapped together, my 1588 and 1610!!! Hubby brought it in, so it was room temp by the time I got home, so I tore into it and have it set up right now. I'm hoping to do staggered hatches, and use the LG as a hatcher then. Anyways, what I'm wondering is, first, is it going to be a total pain in the butt if I have to change the racks while I have eggs in it? Like, I'm soon getting chicken eggs to hatch, plus I might switch the button eggs over to the 1588 in a few days, once it's stable. The bator will be mostly full of chicken eggs at this time, 5 racks chicken eggs and one rack quail eggs. Later, I'll be putting much more quail eggs in it, so I'll need to have more quail racks than chicken racks. If I have the button eggs in it, after removing the chicken eggs, will it be hard to switch the racks while the button eggs are still in one of the racks?

Also, what do I have to do now? I have my rack set up, five chicken racks, one quail rack, and it's in the bator, the bator is all set up and plugged in. I still need to put my thermometers in there (I have one digital, but I don't want to trust just one). I put the turner in because I've heard others complain about the temp rising after the racks were placed in it, and having to readjust, and I'm hoping to skip that step, lol. Anyways, I left it on the factory setting of 4. Now what? Do I just wait a day and see where it's at? If it's perfect on the money, then can I add the eggs and water and tada?

I got mine in the mail just the other day. I have a LG too. All my eggs are currently in the LG. I am letting my 1588 run for a few days to make sure everything is good and consistant. Then I'm, going to switch the eggs over. I'm using the LG as my hatcher.

I have some due to hatch next week and I have to candle another batch/ I figured I'd just switch it all at once. Cross fingers and knock on wood!

Lol. Well, I guess my first step from here will be to actually plug the incubator in... I plugged the turner in and not the bator. I'll have to wait another hour or so to drop hubby at work and pick up an electrical strip so that I have enough outlets for my bator, turner AND the fish light, lol.

Crossing my fingers for you! I have about 25 button eggs in the LG now, plus the 10 from BQH that are settling now, and will go in until the 1588 is ready. The original 25 will stay in the LG, they're due on the 24th, so by the time the 1588 is stable, they'll have to be in the hatcher anyways, lol.
big_smile.png
Good luck with your bators and hatches!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
We actually have a small zoo - or at least it feels like it. 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hamster, a guinea pig, 10 fish, 4 roosters, 3 hens, 20 chicks and 40 eggs in the incubator!

We have 4 pens to take down just to get the grown birds moved. It's gonna be fun!!

That's pretty much what I did- from day 1 it held steady at 100 F. on 2 thermometers, and humidity at 50%. However- tomorrow night is day 18, and I can't tell what the hecky-do is going on- I have one clear kerflooie, and 17 that I think are ok- but it's my first hatch, so what do I know!

What I'm trying to say is that it has stayed rock steady throughout. I let it run 36 hours before putting eggs in.

ETA - IT is the Hovabator 1588 with the turner.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what mine is doing as of today. I'm giving it the weekend while I'm in pA. When I get home sunday I'll candle and rearrange. Hubby ios holding down the fort(and by that I mean, all he has to do is monitor the hygrometer adn make sure nothing gets unplugged!)

Where is Hollywood, sc?

Lol. Your place sounds calm compared to mine! Right now, we have two doves, two parakeets, 8 button chicks, 4 young adult buttons, a silkie chick, cochin chick, somewhere around 13 fish tanks (last I calculated, it was something around 400+ gallons, eep), a corn snake, three balls, several rats, a cat, a toddler and a husband, lmao. We did finally rehome the two dogs, thank god, but, yes, I truely feel your pain, lol.

No offense to my hubby, but I the most I trust him with is monitoring the temp/humidity and reporting back to me. I doubt he'd change anything on it anyways, for fear of goofing something up, lol.

Quote:
This is totally me! I had to "talk him through" setting my eggs this morning at 6am! I had eggs arrive usps and they needed to go in this morning. I keep asking him about how everything is going. I put two sets of chicks together before I left and am nervous about how they are getting on. He keeps telling me everything is fine.....I really want to believe him. But, I f I come home Sunday and my eggs are not "right" I may divorce him!!!

Back
Top Bottom