Just had a chicken pass unexpectedly - trying to make decisions on flock

BackyardDinoMom

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey friends,

Long time no post.

I have a flock of hens a little more than 16 months old - 2 buff orpingtons, 2 salmon feverolle and up until this morning 2 blue australorps (now 1).

A few days ago I noticed some yolk-like discharge on some of the eggs so I gave everyone a pretty thorough inspection. I couldn't find anything suspicious so I treated with more direct calcium because we were getting a few thin-shelled eggs per week. Unfortunately everyone lays the same size, shape and color of eggs for the most part so I couldn't figure out who it was. My husband just let me know that one of my two australorps had passed away and had some yolk-like discharge on her vent. (she was acting normally last night, her comb was still very red upon discovery, he saw her this morning and she didn't have any labored breathing or anything, I'm assuming she had a broken egg in her ovaduct). I'm absolutely heartbroken as my australorps were absolutely my favorite chickens.

Regardless, now I have to decide what to do with the flock as a whole.

My flock all gets along but they were definitely paired up by breed. My feverolle tend to gang up on my remaining australorp and the now deceased Doris was the one protecting her.

Here are the factors I'm considering:
  • I was already considering rehoming the 2 feverolle to go to a flock of 4 to mitigate how many eggs I was getting
  • Marla, my remaining australorp IS my favorite of the flock and we have frequent cuddle parties
  • I can only have 5 chickens for my lot size in an urban area
Would it be better if I:
a) just rehome the 1 australorp (will she be okay? will she be traumatized? She's so sweet and gentle)
b) rehome the 2 feverolle as a bonded set of sisters leaving me with 2 buff orpingtons and a single australorp who should all get along swell.

Thoughts?

There will always be an adjustment in pecking order when you lose or add a flock member. A good way to protect the hen from being bullied, is to keep her with the flock, but inside a wire dog crate with food and water. Then have supervised visits out in the yard to free range every day and observe their behavior. Hopefully you won’t have to rehome either one eventually.

Back
Top Bottom