just had baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gottaluvchickens, Jun 22, 2010.

1. gottaluvchickens

gottaluvchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Ok on sunday i had 2 baby chicks hatched. They are outside in the coop along with all the other chickens. I have had hens sitting for a few weeks now. my questions are how can i check to see if any more fertile eggs and what do i need to do for my new baby chicks. the moms are very protective. Another question (and its a dumb one), Iknow you have to have a rooster to fertilze the egg but does the hen and rooster need to be the same breed?

2. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    keep an eye on the new babies being out in the flock with mom, hopefully shes a good broody and will protect them. To check if the eggs under the other hens are fertile you can candle them, usually can be acheived with a powerful flashlight (some tape a toilet paper roll on to the flashlight if its a big one, and set the egg on the end) if they have been sitting for a few weeks you should see most of the egg is very dark (if a chick is forming) and one end has a "air sack" so is clear. if the eggs are clear they were not fertile so did not develop. they need not be the same breed to succesfully mate [​IMG]

ETA: to candle the eggs it must be dark so you can see into the egg! pitch black is best, i candle at night.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by