1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Just had our first loss...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ninabeast, Aug 29, 2011.

1. ninabeast

ninabeast Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Went out to check on our free-ranging girls and found myself a Buff Orpington short at the count. Across the lawn, there was a massive trail of blond feathers leading into the forest. We knew this was a honeymoon period, we knew it was just a matter of time before the predators found us, and we knew we have red fox in the area. It was such a lovely honeymoon while it lasted, but the rules have abruptly changed.

And she just sang her first egg song last Friday.

RIP, Angelina. I was looking forward to your eggs...

2. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Poor baby. And poor you.

3. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG] I am so sorry..hate the predator game of wait and strike!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss. Set those traps 24/7.Need a extra large one for those daytime predators.

5. CoolSpring

CoolSpring Hatching

Apr 4, 2011
    Sorry to hear about that!

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Songster

Jul 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

So sorry!!! [​IMG]

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Oh I am so sorry. It is so hard to deal with such loss. Sending you hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ladyride

ladyride Songster

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] man it hurts when you raise them up & loose them . I lost 7 just 3 days ago . [​IMG] Will be sending good thoughts to you.

9. ninabeast

ninabeast Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You are all so kind. My chickens are not really pets for me, per se, but also more than livestock. I am sad not so much because I lost a chicken; I knew that was the price of admission. I am sad because I know their free-ranging life as we have known it is over, and I have enjoyed it as much as they have. I have had such joy from watching them cavort, and sleep under the pick-up truck.

10. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Songster

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry about your hen!! I lost my rooster, Mick 2 weeks ago today. [​IMG] That ended my honeymoon period too, now it's all about trying to keep them safe, but yet let them free range like I wanted to. I have turned into a LGD myself! darn predators![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by