Lost my Speckled Sussex, Delilah

YelleBean

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Yesterday evening right as it got dark, I walked into our coop to headcount, we we have a new coop my husband just built so we like to head count to make sure no one is still out. I counted only 17 of my laying girls and all the youngins were there. I was missing Dlilah. Our D-low is notoriously a wanderer. She loves to explore and she’s last in the coop and I HATE IT. It is what she does though. She also likes to visit the neighbor’s coop so I prayed this morning she she would return home. My husband and I looked for a good half hour last night in her usual spots and nothing. I feared finding something bad and found nothing. This morning, my husband alerted my that he has found feathers. I feel gutted. I have been holding onto hope that she will head back this morning, but after seeing the feathers. I don’t think so. No body, no blood, no trail of feathers. Just a pile. I didn’t see these yesterday evening so it leaves me to wonder if she stayed out last night and his possibly and tried to make her way back to the coop and something got her? I’m on fenced land outside of Houston and I hate to say it, but hawks have been pretty quiet these days so I haven’t worried as much. I didn’t see these feathers last night around 8 when I had a flashlight. No trace, just these feathers. My neighbor who runs cattle had a couple coyotes harassing his cattle in the far back of the property but our chickens are really fairly close to our home. We just finished our big coop up and it’s only about 30 yards from the house. I guess I didn’t think one would be so brave, or fox possibly? Could a hawk carry a 5-6 pound chicken away? Of the two attacks we’ve had in 3 years, we found body parts and a TON OF FEATHERS. This is just different. “It’s just a chicken.” I know. I’ve heard it numerous times since I was so upset over her missing last night. Still heartbroken. I’d really like to have a watchful eye and know what I may be watching for now I’m worried to death for my others. I will add, this morning my husband looked in the compost box and found a cashe of what looks like her eggs. She gets broody. We’re wondering if she decided to sleep on eggs last night and something startled her and she tried to run towards the coop. Just heartbroken.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yesterday evening right as it got dark, I walked into our coop to headcount, we we have a new coop my husband just built so we like to head count to make sure no one is still out. I counted only 17 of my laying girls and all the youngins were there. I was missing Dlilah. Our D-low is notoriously a wanderer. She loves to explore and she’s last in the coop and I HATE IT. It is what she does though. She also likes to visit the neighbor’s coop so I prayed this morning she she would return home. My husband and I looked for a good half hour last night in her usual spots and nothing. I feared finding something bad and found nothing. This morning, my husband alerted my that he has found feathers. I feel gutted. I have been holding onto hope that she will head back this morning, but after seeing the feathers. I don’t think so. No body, no blood, no trail of feathers. Just a pile. I didn’t see these yesterday evening so it leaves me to wonder if she stayed out last night and his possibly and tried to make her way back to the coop and something got her? I’m on fenced land outside of Houston and I hate to say it, but hawks have been pretty quiet these days so I haven’t worried as much. I didn’t see these feathers last night around 8 when I had a flashlight. No trace, just these feathers. My neighbor who runs cattle had a couple coyotes harassing his cattle in the far back of the property but our chickens are really fairly close to our home. We just finished our big coop up and it’s only about 30 yards from the house. I guess I didn’t think one would be so brave, or fox possibly? Could a hawk carry a 5-6 pound chicken away? Of the two attacks we’ve had in 3 years, we found body parts and a TON OF FEATHERS. This is just different. “It’s just a chicken.” I know. I’ve heard it numerous times since I was so upset over her missing last night. Still heartbroken. I’d really like to have a watchful eye and know what I may be watching for now I’m worried to death for my others. I will add, this morning my husband looked in the compost box and found a cashe of what looks like her eggs. She gets broody. We’re wondering if she decided to sleep on eggs last night and something startled her and she tried to run towards the coop. Just heartbroken.
A few years back when I had my first 3 chickens a coyote came right through my yard in the middle of the day with me, my husband, and our 2 little dogs and snatched up one of my birds and took off into the woods. (I'm a few hours north of you in Texas) Nothing but a pile of feathers was ever found. The coyote came back the next morning and I shot it. Keep an eye out, because if it was a coyote or a fox they will be back.

A few years back when I had my first 3 chickens a coyote came right through my yard in the middle of the day with me, my husband, and our 2 little dogs and snatched up one of my birds and took off into the woods. (I'm a few hours north of you in Texas) Nothing but a pile of feathers was ever found. The coyote came back the next morning and I shot it. Keep an eye out, because if it was a coyote or a fox they will be back.
Ugh, so sorry! That's crazy! I don't remember cyotes being so brave and during the day like that! I will most definitely keep an eye out and already told my husband to be diligent about shooting whatever this is. Should I keep them all in the coop today?

Ugh, so sorry! That's crazy! I don't remember cyotes being so brave and during the day like that! I will most definitely keep an eye out and already told my husband to be diligent about shooting whatever this is. Should I keep them all in the coop today?
That's what I did, locked them up in their run. The next morning, I got up early and went outside to have coffee and there it was, creeping along the fence (it completely caught me off guard) turned around grabbed the 22 and shot it from my back door. Once they know where a source of food is, they almost always come back.

That's what I did, locked them up in their run. The next morning, I got up early and went outside to have coffee and there it was, creeping along the fence (it completely caught me off guard) turned around grabbed the 22 and shot it from my back door. Once they know where a source of food is, they almost always come back.
Great idea. See, in my mind, I think that because Delilah liked to stay out later and wonder around, I kind of think she decided to lay on these eggs overnight and got up super early and was walking towards the coop most likely because it startled her and it grabbed her right there where all the feathers are laying. I've been out there several times this morning and only see guinea fowls running the fence line, but I plan on getting up super early in the morning to see if we can catch one.

Great idea. See, in my mind, I think that because Delilah liked to stay out later and wonder around, I kind of think she decided to lay on these eggs overnight and got up super early and was walking towards the coop most likely because it startled her and it grabbed her right there where all the feathers are laying. I've been out there several times this morning and only see guinea fowls running the fence line, but I plan on getting up super early in the morning to see if we can catch one.
I hope you don't have anymore problems. Losing a bird sucks!

Back
Top Bottom