Just hatched a chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bakerjw, Nov 18, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My free range broody is sitting on 13 eggs. I went out to check on the progress as some are starting to peep and hatch and found one egg where the shell was mostly gone but the chick was wrapped almost completely in the thick membrane. There are 2 from what I've seen. A thin one and the thicker one on the inside of the shell.

To make a long story short this was an active chick with no way out from what I saw. I could have left it to struggle all night and maybe not make it but opted to help remove enough of the membrane for it to break free. Once I got it loosened the chick popped out peeping and flailing like crazy. I lost a chick last week when I helped it out but this one is so strong that I have a good feeling about its chances.

I know many people here have been through this before but to see this little bird struggle and make it out was incredible. It was really a gret feeling to know that the first thing that it saw (if they can even see when they hatch) was me. Tonight has been a cool night.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That is a good feeling. Great work! [​IMG]

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Great job helping out the chick! Hopefully the rest come out with no complications. Good luck and congratulations!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    A shrinkwrapped chick under a broody? Didn't anyone tell her to increase the humidity to 70%?

Good rescue!

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I have 25 chicks in my brooder right now from a hatch gone bad. I had toleave on hatch day to go work cattle. When I left there were some chicks out fo there shells but still sitting inside them. When I returned 5 hours later the temp was 104.9 and every chick was wrapped. I had 200eggs in the bator at the time. I lost all but 28, I had to help every chick but a few out of there shells from being completely wrapped. There all thriving and acting normal minus 3 weak ones who didnt make it. Sometimes we must interfere to give a fair chance. Nice save

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    The humidity around the broody for the last couple of weeks has been rather high. Her brooding with the rains and wind just shows her dedication. She is a protected bird in my flock.

Anywho. Before going to work I went up to check on her and the chicks from last weekends hatch. The rescued chick is fine and has 2 cohorts in crime now with another working its way out. SO it look like at least 4 new flock members will be welcomed before it is all said and done.

I do know that some will not hatch as this hen and her eggs stink. I am sure that there is at least one bad egg under her or perhaps hens just get real smelly when they brood on the same spot out in the weeds.

Doesn't matter though. I've gotten more than I bargained for. I got a lost hen back with 4 more fuzzy butts to watch grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by