Just hatched chicks

sometinychickens

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2018
New here everyone! A friend gave us eggs to try hatching in our incubator. We have our first one just 12 hours ago. So precious. Others pecking out as I type this. How quickly do they go in a chicken coop?

Congrats on your successful hatch! (I'll warn you- hatching eggs in an incubator may be habit forming.) The answer depends in part on where you live. Right now where I live (midwest) the nights are below freezing, so I'm keeping my hatchlings indoors for 2-3 weeks before moving outdoors into their coop. I also provide heating lamps inside the coop so that they stay warm enough overnight.
Are your hatchlings the first members of your flock, or are there other chickens living in your coop?

Congrats on your successful hatch! (I'll warn you- hatching eggs in an incubator may be habit forming.) The answer depends in part on where you live. Right now where I live (midwest) the nights are below freezing, so I'm keeping my hatchlings indoors for 2-3 weeks before moving outdoors into their coop. I also provide heating lamps inside the coop so that they stay warm enough overnight.
Are your hatchlings the first members of your flock, or are there other chickens living in your coop?
actually the coop is being built as we speak. No other chickens.

Well that's good- you'll avoid any integration issues with older chickens. So long as you provide a nice dry, warm place for them to avoid the elements, they'll be just fine in their coop as young as 2 weeks in my opinion. They might not be able to walk up a ramp to get in the upper levels of a coop that young, so you may need to put their heating lamp on the lowest level until they develop a bit more. Do you have some bedding to help insulate them during chilly fall/winter nights?

Welcome to BYC and congrats on your very first hatch!
What part of the world do you live in?

Well that's good- you'll avoid any integration issues with older chickens. So long as you provide a nice dry, warm place for them to avoid the elements, they'll be just fine in their coop as young as 2 weeks in my opinion. They might not be able to walk up a ramp to get in the upper levels of a coop that young, so you may need to put their heating lamp on the lowest level until they develop a bit more. Do you have some bedding to help insulate them during chilly fall/winter nights?
oh yes.

Back
Top Bottom