Just Hatched My First Ever Baby Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigspringshatchery, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I had some eggs on the bator and only one has hatched so far. Ill post pic bc im not sure of the breed. The lady that gave them to me said they were wild mallards. Is raising them the same as baby chicks? I know they need unmedicated chick starter. Can i put it in the same brooder as my baby chicks. I got 3 3 week old banty chicks in a brooder. And another ? its not walking around yet like baby chicks usually are. Is that normal.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Congratulations. Raising ducklings is pretty similar to chickens- however ducks needs deeper water to enable them to clean their nostrils and eyes. They can be pretty messy in a brooder- but you can put them in with chickens. How long ago did the little one hatch?? They can take a little while to gain strangth and be walking around after hatching. Some of mine have been still pretty weak and floppy fopr hours after hatching- but usually are up and about and fluffed up within 24 hours

3. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations on your hatch!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I had my very first hatch on june 30th and my second on July 1st. I know how eciting it feels! [​IMG] Please posts pics! Hope more hatch for you!! [​IMG]

4. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Congrats! My first batch (ducks also) are due to hatch in 6 days. I know how excited you must be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by