Just hatched our first quail and need help!

JLyons1

Hatching
Nov 5, 2023
Hey everyone! First time hatching quail. We really just wanted something that wasn’t chickens (every surrounding county they are legal but ours)
Anyways our friend raises them as a hobbyist and he offered us some eggs. We successfully hatched 7 exactly 6 weeks ago—4 females and 3 males. They got along just fine in the until about two days ago when the males-all 3 of them- started crowing nonstop. We built a very nice garage setup with top and bottom cages intending to separate males and females or something like that at some point. We also have an indoor cage that we have been keeping them in since removing from the brooder and we were going to just keep them all in there since they seemed to really get along. ANYWAYS so back to the 3 males. One was the most aggressive so we removed him and put him in the outdoor pen. He has since been quiet. The other two were NOT quiet and even though it’s only 6 weeks we thought maybe removing another would be fine because it would be leaving one roo and 4 hens.
The issue is this roo still will not shut up. He can’t see the other Roos and they aren’t responding to him like they were when they were all together. He has 4 hens to himself but still crowing literally every 2 minutes and they’re not even old enough to start laying. We really wanted to have at least a few more fertilized eggs at some point so that’s why we left him in there. I’m afraid since he’s been with just the females now if we separate him now and put him with the other males they will destroy him. Especially since none of them will have hens. Also in between the crows he’s purring constantly. Literally always making sounds. He doesn’t seem to be in distress or injured otherwise. It’s almost like he’s trying to find the other two Roos which wouldn’t make sense either.
It’s driving us crazy but he’s also the favorite so we hate to do anything drastic. Just want to know how to help him

I would invite him to dinner and put one of the others in with your hens. That will leave you with a lonely male who can also make it to dinner.

Your ratios are still a bit off (I'm assuming that we're talking about coturnix quail), but could still work depending on the temperaments of the birds.

As general rule, happy males don't make a lot of noise. I don't know why your boy is so unhappy, but constant crowing and growling says that he's upset.

Back
Top Bottom