just hatched some chicks! First timer in need of advice..

londonchick

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 23, 2012
Hi there,

I've got seven chicks hatched from my new incubator... three silver laced wyandottes and four gold partridge pekins - am quite besotted! they're a week old today and mostly progressing really well, apart from one who's had trouble with a pasted vent and is small and shaky. (she also winds up stuck on her back fairly often and can't seem to right herself.. should I put her in a separate box?) I keep thinking we might be about to lose her, then she perks up.. I'm keeping a close eye on that butt!

Thanks to everyone who's posted about that issue before, I managed to clean her up well with some warm water, after which she did an enormous poop and seems much brighter.

I'm keen to have these guys as pet chickens and would welcome any advice about handling, taming, & also what treats I can give them from this age.. maybe mealworms? I'm happy to bribe my way into their affections.

Thanks!

I've simply held them and "played" with them outside every day. Today was stormy, so instead I put newspaper down on the carpet and "played" inside with them.

I personally don't recommend any treat at a young age simply because you have to introduce grit if you do.

As pets, I can't tell you much. As a means to a meal...won't help you out much.

I agree with not giving them many treats at this age, but an easy treat is grass cut into smaller than 1" pieces. Make sure to give them some grit. For taming them, the best thing to do is to is to pick them up every day.
Good Luck!
smile.png

Hi, and thanks so much for the replies. The smallest chick seems to have got over the pasty butt now and is starting to eat normally i think.. it's still about half the size of the others, but seems quite perky. Will it grow up normal sized, or I have i made a 'bonsai' chicken??

I'm following the advice about holding them every day, and they seem to be getting more relaxed with it - two of them went right to sleep in my hand yesterday - wish I could have taken a photo!

The newspaper is a great idea - save me wiping poo off the floor. it's a bit cold to take them outside yet, i think - maybe next week. I'll try out the grass as well and see what they think. What grit do you recommend?

Thanks again!

Crushed Granite for grit. I'm unsure on how much the chick will grow but I assume that it will grow to the same size as a normal chicken of that breed.

Back
Top Bottom