Just have to vent...

see, all the GSD breeders and trainers I know recommend the opposite. Yes, the dog will automatically pick a "favorite" so it is recommended that the other spouse do MORE training, not less. And, with families, that everyone should be involved with training from day 1.

Of course, that is why working dogs can work for so many people. Because they have been taught that since day 1.

Yes, there always seems to be one person in the family that ends up responsible, but that is a human dynamic, not the dog..

German Shepherd puppy? They live to please and love to work. Start some fun obedience with the pup and very quickly it will be your pup and not Brandon's. (Who is Brandon? Your brother?).

You will enjoy having a devoted German Shepherd who thinks you are where the sun rises every day. You can teach the pup all sorts of thing. Look up lure training. You can teach a German Shepherd to sit and lay down as soon as their eyes are open. It should never be necessary to so much as raise your voice. A look of disapproval will stop them and a quiet "good dog" will make them work their tail off for you.

You can lure train "heel" without ever putting a leash on the pup. Once the pup has some nice manners and wants to hang out and adore you, you will enjoy the company. And hey, bonus, Brandon won't be pleased about it.

Quote:
LOL Rayden is my husband's. well, the paperwork says so anyway. but he IS a mama's boy.
smile.png
he does obey both of us though as well as both the kids.

There are many ways to train dogs and they all, more or less, work pretty well and will, more or less, have the same results. It just depends what people are comfortable with and how hard people are interested in working on it. There really isn't one right wy or one wrong way. Dog training goes through fads and also evolves, just like everything else. You may have had success with your dog training a very different way other people have had success with their dog. None of it, if it is the least bit reasonable, is wrong.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know what I'd bash you for, Rusty
smile.png
I have talked with RoPo on the phone about her puppy and he's on a good schedule and in a properly sized crate. I think that as long as everyone is on the same page, then everyone can be doing some conditioning for the dog...that is ONLY if everyone is on the same page. Consistency is most important. I find it more productive to have everyone doing the same thing with the dog, and the pup getting used to taking direction from everyone, than to just have ONE person doing it and everyone else just watching. Of course, if RoPo's DH cannot get 'on board' with the training, then, sadly, yes it becomes her responsibility. In my house the dogs listen to me first and run to my husband to be the "feel good" parent. I used to resent this greatly but have just accepted it for what it is now. We've been married 9 years and have had a total of 6 dogs together, he's learned a lot and we are comfortable with where we're at.

Back
Top Bottom