Just how big ARE Brahma's?

Thank you everyone! I showed my Mom this website yesterday, she loved all the coop designs. She had no idea people went that nuts with coops and chickens.

I can't wait for my babies to get here. I still can't decide how many I want. My local feed store ordered them for me since I'm pretty sure I don't want 25. I was originally thinking 3-4, but then maybe 5-6, then well, what about 10.

And now my Mom is pressuring me to get a rooster. Easy for her to say, she lives 600 miles away. But she had a valid point. If I want more, it's easier to have a rooster. I really, really, really want a rooster. I live on a mountain top with few neighbors, but I don't want to piss off the neighbors I have (my husband, I can piss off).
smile.png

The Light Brahma roosters are just magnificient. My Mom was surprised when she saw them, her quote "Those are quite flashy birds." Heck yeah!

I will be posting pics, there is a definite lack of Light Brahma pics here. At least, not enough for me.
smile.png

Thank you all again.

Hello Rabun County from Fannin County! I just wanted to say that I did have a second Lt. Brahma, which turned out to be one of the hatchery sexing mistakes, so Bess became Bart, LOL. He was the sweetest rooster! I had not planned to have a big Brahma roo for the flock, so we sold him, but I was all choked up when we let him go. He was a calm, very sweet and friendly boy.

Oh yes, Auntbeast you must get yourself a brahma rooster. I re-homed my light brahma rooster to help a friend out that had lost her entire flock; but I wouldn't give up my dark brahma roo for anything.

I have 7 brahma hens - all about basketball size or a little bigger (hatchery stock) I just this morning ordered 25 more straight run - so I can get a rooster and some more hens.

They are big - but they are big puppy dogs!!! you will not be sorry you got Brahmas!!

I never thought I'd want a "white" chicken (even if they aren't totally white) but they are lovely and their personality is such that I would love to have a whole farm full of them (and I may before I'm done :la )

Maybe next year I'll do some dark brahmas
wink.png

One warning - they are hogs
lau.gif
your feed bill will be slightly higher than with other breeds of chickens. But it's worth it - they lay HUGE eggs for me and on a quite regular basis. (often get double yolkers)

meri

I didn't want to get my hopes up. You see, I have quite possibly the coolest neighbor in the world. I would rather piss off my husband than my neighbor (I have more ways of getting forgiven from my husband). So I walked on over and asked him if he minded if I got a rooster. I did explain I'm getting hens only and would not dream of getting a rooster without his ok. He not only said yes, he said I "have" to have a rooster. I did tell him that his tolerance would entitle him to egg rights and that they will be laying huge eggs. He was tickled to death.

In other news, he also said he'd happily slaughter chickens for me. I'm so not there yet and CERTAINLY not my Brahma babies. Maybe next year I'll consider some eatin' chickens. This batch? Let's just say if they ever get around to laying an egg, that will be a bonus.

Now, where to find a Light Brahma roo?

Our roos stand as tall as our pygmy goats, the hens come to about their shoulders just for size comparison ! They are soo gentle too. I wish you lived closer because I have 2 beautiful Light Brahma roos that are a year old and I need to down size the boys ! You made a great choice with this breed.
big_smile.png

Hey, thanks for the pygmy comparison, since I happen to have two.
smile.png
I've been picturing these gigantic chickens towering over my little pygmy goats. Evidently, I'm gonna have a freak farm.

The more I read about the Brahmas the more I do think I absolutely made the right choice, they certainly sound like my kinda chicken.

I do have a confession. I stopped by the feed store today (Kilby's feed and seed in Clayton, GA. (Hi Marty!)) and got my daughter an Easter Egger. My brooder was lonely and my daughter, age 3, has been saying chicken for far too long without one. Besides, it will look different enough she can tell her chicken apart. I asked her what she wanted to name her. My daughters name is Katie. She said "Katie" I said your name is Katie, what about your chicken, YEAH, KATIE! So, she's at least named.

Now tomorrow morning about 8am, Littlest Katie will have as unyet decided number of room mates. Wheee!

Hey, geareduplyn, that is a fine lookin' chick'n. Very handsome fellow.

Here's some examples:

This is Mr. Mom, my 12 year old cock bird. He is a production bird. Notice the feeder in the back? He USED to be the largest bird we had before I got the Langshan. There's NO comparison. Mr. Mom is maybe half of what Clyde the Langshan is.
Chickens279.jpg

Now, here is a Light Brahma cock at a show:
Mikaela024.jpg

The cage is 24" tall and is double-cooped. Anyone know how wide a coop is? Is it 24" x 36"??? Anyway, it's 2 cages wide, 24" tall.

See how much larger an exhibition bird is? The feeder is maybe 18" tall...tops.

Back
Top Bottom