Just how big ARE Brahma's?

Auntbeast

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Rabun County, GA
Ok, I carefully researched breeds. Docile, fluffy, good but not exuberant layer, pretty...

So I ordered some Light Brahmas. I now notice that they are considered a very large breed. Just how large is large? I've been watching youtube videos and checking threads here, but I can't get a good size comparison.

I've got two pygmy goats and I'm trying to imagine Godzilla like chickens standing next to them. What an odd assortment I shall have.
smile.png
No, I'm not changing my mind! I'm keeping them! (well, once I get them I'll keep them, they arrive Friday)

I also want to make sure I have the door openings and roost distances appropriate for them, so please, Brahma owners, clue me in!

I have a Lt Brahma and a Buff Brahma. Hatchery stock will probably not be as large as breeder stock. My Lt girl is very large, but not as large as my Blue Orpingtons. My Buff girl is a bit smaller than the Lt.

I haven't had chickens in decades. So how about a size comparison to non-chicken items?
smile.png

Are they bigger than a volkswagon?

Hey, SpeckledHen, I'm in NE Georgia. Near Dillard.

(btw, quick work mods, moving the thread. Thank you, wasn't sure where it should go.)

Last edited:
I had a light brahma who was absolutly monstrous, much bigger than my cat. They had to get out the dog scale to weigh her when \\ she went to the vet. But her sister was smaller, and I've had others that wern't any bigger than my other hens, so I suppose it really depends on the stock.

I have 2 light x dark Brahmas and they are HUGE !! Much larger than a cat. They lay huge eggs too. Some double yolkers from time to time.
These were the 1st ones I hatched out and I never thought a chicken could be that big. They are 2 now and still laying well. Very hardy in the winter too..

I really like brahmas--but they are HUGE--and that's just hatchery stock--if you get breeder stock they will be much bigger. My girl was at least 10 lbs, and taller than my almost too tall JRT.

My light and buff brahma hens (hatchery stock) are actually smaller than my dark hens. The darks are closer to the standard and they are huge. Basketball size sounds about right. My dark hens weigh in the 7 to 8 lb. range and my dark roo is 13 lbs. They are going to be a year old in a few weeks and supposedly still have some growing to do.

Back
Top Bottom