Breeds for Confinement

I don't think you can find a breed that's happy without some freedom.
Think about people, while some personalities express their frustration in less disruptive ways, it doesn't change the impact on wellbeing of the individual. Just whether they take it out on others.
Likewise, some chicken breeds have very few mean individuals. Long term, there would still be some problem birds requiring removal.
The advice of really big or really small is good. Silkies or Saramas, or Brahmas or Orpingtons (the English variety of which is the most docile, but also bigger).

I don't think you can find a breed that's happy without some freedom.
Think about people, while some personalities express their frustration in less disruptive ways, it doesn't change the impact on wellbeing of the individual. Just whether they take it out on others.
Likewise, some chicken breeds have very few mean individuals. Long term, there would still be some problem birds requiring removal.
The advice of really big or really small is good. Silkies or Saramas, or Brahmas or Orpingtons (the English variety of which is the most docile, but also bigger).
That honestly makes a lot of sense. I wish this was more common knowledge. Unfortunately, there seems to be a correlation between really big/small and broodiness... which is what steered us away from these breeds to begin with. In hindsight, I'd rather deal with a broody bird than a bully bird.

That honestly makes a lot of sense. I wish this was more common knowledge. Unfortunately, there seems to be a correlation between really big/small and broodiness... which is what steered us away from these breeds to begin with. In hindsight, I'd rather deal with a broody bird than a bully bird.
The broody thing IMO is just like a personality, it varies by bird (although some do have more of a tendency to go broody). I also think a lot has to do with where you get them, breeder/hatchery. Hatchery birds have had a lot of that bred out of them to increase egg production, but there are always exceptions. I read a post on here awhile back of a cinnamon queen I believe that went broody, so anything is possible. I have a hatchery light brahma that is 3 1/2 yrs old and has never been broody, a 2 yr old hatchery OE that has been broody once, a 1 1/2 old English orp from a breeder that has been broody twice this year already and is currently sitting on eggs, and a handful of others both hatchery and breeder that have never gone broody. But I can tell you that my brahma and my english orps are very laid back ladies!

The broody thing IMO is just like a personality, it varies by bird (although some do have more of a tendency to go broody). I also think a lot has to do with where you get them, breeder/hatchery. Hatchery birds have had a lot of that bred out of them to increase egg production, but there are always exceptions. I read a post on here awhile back of a cinnamon queen I believe that went broody, so anything is possible. I have a hatchery light brahma that is 3 1/2 yrs old and has never been broody, a 2 yr old hatchery OE that has been broody once, a 1 1/2 old English orp from a breeder that has been broody twice this year already and is currently sitting on eggs, and a handful of others both hatchery and breeder that have never gone broody. But I can tell you that my brahma and my english orps are very laid back ladies!
I am learning something new every day here! I have to take another look at Brahmas once we get a legit coop built (I don't think it could fit through the Omlet door 😅). Do you have a hard time keeping their feet clean? We scoop our run multiple times a day, but they still inevitably step in their poop.

I am learning something new every day here! I have to take another look at Brahmas once we get a legit coop built (I don't think it could fit through the Omlet door 😅). Do you have a hard time keeping their feet clean? We scoop our run multiple times a day, but they still inevitably step in their poop.
I have bantam brahma, but they don't seem to have much issue with messy foot feathers. But I also don't really worry if they look okay from afar

No, she maintains her feet pretty good, but I use deep little in the run. They do get dirty on occasion (mud) but she cleans them up with a good ol dust bath. You'd be surprised what they fit through😉😂

I have a mixed flock of Orpingtons, Marans, Golden Comets, Speckled Sussex, Meyer Olive Egger, and a Barnevelder. The Barnevelder is the only one who doesn't bear confinement well, especially if she hasn't been out to the tractor in a few days. She has anxiety and paces, and when she gets really worked up the other hens get so annoyed at her that a lot of them will give her a single "freaking STOP IT" peck as she runs by. I'm probably going to rehome her somewhere she will be able to free range, I think she'd be a lot happier. Just my limited experience with a single Barnevelder in confinement, 5/10.

I can put in a nod to bantam Brahmas, Orpingtons, Marans, Langshans and Cochins being chill. I have a mixed flock that also includes Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, EEs, d’Uccles, silkies, d’Anvers, Russian Orloffs, Salmon Faverolles, and Olandsk Dwarfs. They all get along really well, enjoy their run space just fine, and even react well to new additions. A lot of them do go broody, but I agree that broody is better than bully! I would say my Orpingtons would rate as the most chill and my Ameraucanas as the least chill…even though they’re great! I have 4 big Orps and they are my most favorite fluffy butts! 😍 My Modern Game bantams hate confinement the most—they’d love to free range but everything wants to eat those twig birds! 😆

Thank you everyone for your contributions! Based on the feedback, we'll likely add an Orpington, Speckled Sussex, and Brahma in the spring. I'll come back and update with their ratings once they've integrated.

In the meantime, I hope more folks will chime in with their experiences. It's been a really interesting and informative read, for me anyways 😁

Back
Top Bottom