Breeds for Confinement

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Good morning everyone! 🙂

I was hoping to generate some discussion on which (full-size) chickens breeds you've found to do best in confinement. I'll define "confinement" as being enclosed to the minimum of 10 sqft/bird in the run with limited to no free-range access. I imagine this would include breeds that do well in wintertime confinement, and most importantly get along well with others. I've seen only a handful of breeds on the "Do Not Confine" list, with Ameraucanas being the standout. Does this suggest that most chickens will tolerate confinement equally? I see mention of docile breeds, but not any specifics.

For the record, I don't love the 10 sqft guideline. I find it insufficient for fitting enrichment activities into the run (unless you have a large number of chickens, I suppose). I've been managing with 25-35/bird, which feels like a good compromise when there's restrictions on build space. I have limited experience with different breeds, but I'll rate the ones I have.

Black Australorp - 7.5/10
- They're very gentle with other birds, and spend most of their time happily engaged with the different stations in the run (roost, sand box, dig box, plants, etc.). Unfortunately, I have caught a small amount of pacing and generalized anxiety. I can tell they'd love to get out and trash/explore the property (sorry girls, I'm working on it for next year 🙁).

Golden Comet/Cinnamon Queen - 10/10
- My rating is contingent on only housing them with others of their kind. One Comet is sweet as pie with the Australorps; the other needed to be rehomed. Besides that incident, they are happy as clams. I don't know if this is because they come from production stock or what.

Hoping others will chime in with their experience.

Good morning everyone! 🙂

I was hoping to generate some discussion on which (full-size) chickens breeds you've found to do best in confinement. I'll define "confinement" as being enclosed to the minimum of 10 sqft/bird in the run with limited to no free-range access. I imagine this would include breeds that do well in wintertime confinement, and most importantly get along well with others. I've seen only a handful of breeds on the "Do Not Confine" list, with Ameraucanas being the standout. Does this suggest that most chickens will tolerate confinement equally? I see mention of docile breeds, but not any specifics.

For the record, I don't love the 10 sqft guideline. I find it insufficient for fitting enrichment activities into the run (unless you have a large number of chickens, I suppose). I've been managing with 25-35/bird, which feels like a good compromise when there's restrictions on build space. I have limited experience with different breeds, but I'll rate the ones I have.

Black Australorp - 7.5/10
- They're very gentle with other birds, and spend most of their time happily engaged with the different stations in the run (roost, sand box, dig box, plants, etc.). Unfortunately, I have caught a small amount of pacing and generalized anxiety. I can tell they'd love to get out and trash/explore the property (sorry girls, I'm working on it for next year 🙁).

Golden Comet/Cinnamon Queen - 10/10
- My rating is contingent on only housing them with others of their kind. One Comet is sweet as pie with the Australorps; the other needed to be rehomed. Besides that incident, they are happy as clams. I don't know if this is because they come from production stock or what.

Hoping others will chime in with their experience.
Most breeds do perfectly fine in "confinement". I'd suggest either smaller birds, that while they are typically more active, are simply less bird in the space. Or you could go with large but very docile birds like Orpington, Cornish and Cochin that don't really have any tendency to go running around all willy nilly.

A third, and possibly best option would be to go with some of the larger dual purpose bantams. Breeds like New Hampshire, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Dorking, Brahma, Langshan even in bantam form are excellent providers of eggs and even meat.

A third, and possibly best option would be to go with some of the larger dual purpose bantams. Breeds like New Hampshire, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, Dorking, Brahma, Langshan even in bantam form are excellent providers of eggs and even meat.
I hadn't really considered this. I'm guessing the bantam versions have different dispositions than their full-size counterparts? And thank you for listing some specific large-scale breeds! I see a lot of love for Orpingtons and Cochins.

I hadn't really considered this. I'm guessing the bantam versions have different dispositions than their full-size counterparts? And thank you for listing some specific large-scale breeds! I see a lot of love for Orpingtons and Cochins.
Not really that I’ve noticed. In most cases it’s the same, but smaller. Sometimes a bit more fiesty in the bantam size. (I recall a few bantam Langshan cockerels that tried to pick fights with my Large Fowl Langshan cock birds, which caused great puzzlement for the latter)

Not really that I’ve noticed. In most cases it’s the same, but smaller. Sometimes a bit more fiesty in the bantam size. (I recall a few bantam Langshan cockerels that tried to pick fights with my Large Fowl Langshan cock birds, which caused great puzzlement for the latter)
Ha! What is it with animals and tiny syndrome? 😂 I suppose you have to survive somehow.

Ha! What is it with animals and tiny syndrome? 😂 I suppose you have to survive somehow.
Photo for reference. It was pretty funny. Just did not understand what was happening.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpeg
    IMG_1611.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom