Is 10x10 dog run big enough?

Chickengnome91

Chirping
May 12, 2022
I ended up with 4 pidgeons 😅
1 surrendered racer (owner didn't care)
Fantail (gifted)
And 2 fancy 'meat' girls.

I've been keeping them in a larger dog kennel , feeding them a mixed ration of seed, bugs, and pellet.

I'm currently redoing our chicken area and can upcycle a covered 10x10 for them. Problem is, I can't find ANY information on whether they can escape through the chainlink gaps.

Predators are a non issue due to dogs and fencing type.

My current thought would be to use the covered run. As a large flight pen. Add in perches and 'houses' of differant styles. Maybe a few 'toys' , multiple feed spots with differant treats. I'd also be able to cover the sides for winter

Predators will always be a potential threat with that type of fencing, sometimes dogs can have an off day. One suggestion I’d make is to limit the amount of perch space that’s directly adjacent to the sides of the pen, a hawk can fit a leg through chain link easily. Hawks will probably be the most common predators going after your pigeons and may or may not ignore the dogs.

That being said, that type fencing will certainly keep pigeons in. That sounds like a great space for a small flock :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom