Just how dangerous can a rooster become?

I have a Silkie hen 15 months old and I just had to give her a bath and I noticed her toenails were extremely long. She was walking kinda toe splayed outward, but none of my other chickens had long nails. I s this a trait with Silkies. This is the first Silkie I have owned and I have never had to cut my other chickens nails.

If you plan on keeping him and waiting it out to see if he relaxes, it's worth caging him. Better that than risking the very real alternative.

Some aggression is normal when they're growing and figuring out the pecking order, but I'd say once they become aggressive towards humans, it's rare they'll grow out of it. The only time we've kept an aggressive rooster is after he'd been sent flying with a 2x4 after cornering someone in the barn- he always walked a little sideways after that but that got the message across.

It's not worth having to be cautious of your own animals.

I totally agree - keeping a human aggressive animal isn't worth it. If it was mentioned that the cockerel we're talking about here is human aggressive I missed it.

Back
Top Bottom