Just how different are ducks hatching compared to chickens?

laura8700

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Warrenton va
So we are at it again, learning learning learning. We placed two duck eggs in the incubator and we are on day 28. Last night we had one egg pip and this morning awoke to the other egg pipped . Humidity is at 70-75 , temp has been steady so I think we are good on that front. At what point after initial pip should we be concerned? When we shine flashlight in they eventually move and we have heard some peeps, but defiantly more lazy compared to the chicks we have hatched.
Of course my kids have named one of these guys so I feel even more obligated to help it out if needs help.
I just don't know if the same rules apply to ducks as
With chickens before you assist. Help ?
How long before you would intervene?

All same rules apply. Jumping in too early to help them hatch causes more harm than good. Hatching is their first big test to see if they are going to be healthy and strong.
At this point I really wouldn't be concerned, from external pip to zipping can be 24 hours.
I also wouldn't be worried that they are not showing a lot of moving or peeping. It's been very hard work for them to do that external pip and they need to rest and absorb yolk before they can start to hatch. Patience really is a virtue when it comes to hatching eggs.
It's a process that cannot be rushed and shouldn't be rushed.
Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Last edited:
Thank you. We have been reading that ducks seem to look like they are struggling more and that they take longer from external pip. I just a needed some reassurance I think ;)

It can take up to 24 hours after that initial pip for them to start "zipping", so you do have to have patience with duck eggs. Once they start zipping, it can take another 24 hours before they're fully out (but it is usually less than that). Ducklings tend to take very long rests between each stage of hatching.

So, only if ZERO progress has been made a full 24 hours from the time they made their initial pip hole would I even consider helping at all. That's always a last resort, as I'm sure you know.

Keep us updated! :)

Edit: Wow, I guess I'm a slow typer. Yorkshire beat me to it! ;)

Last edited:
As I sat here in my hands they both moved and one started knocking a new pip part. No exposed membrane yet. Just cracked shell ;)
They just bought themselves some more time . Lol

Slow pokes! Oh my goodness this takes forever! Egg 1 bought some more time and is still moving. No more progress since that last little burst and egg two just did another little pip next to original. I hear faint peeps and see small rocking in there but nothing loud like the chicks.
So we are on 24 hours since original pip and 5 hours into second pip mark. No membrane showing .
Kids and I are going to be sooo bummed if they don't make it overnight. We had a chick pip and not make it overnight and it was so sad ;(

Well, it sounds like they are making progress just fine on their own. Keeping fingers crossed that everything goes well!

Any new updates??

[/IMG]
Both hatched last night at 2am. The last one to pip hatched first. (Snorkels) and Duck Norris (egg 1 to pip) came shortly after.
Duck Norris had a hell of time
Getting out. He's bigger also, fluffing up faster. Snorkels still seems like it has sticky stuff on head a bit . I took humidity rags out of bator and maybe that will help??

Back
Top Bottom