Just How Loud...?

crossgirl

Day Dream Believer
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Lakeland, FL
We have four chicks. I'm sure one is is a rooster so he'll have to go for sure, so add in a couple replacements.....how loud is a coop with 4-6 hens? What if they're banties? Are some breeds noiser than others? I'm afraid my little silkie may be a roo too. Are they loud? It's not nonstop noise is it? I live in a rural area where the houses aren't on top of each other but there are two neighbors that are close enough and not happy about the chickens.

My bubble has been kind of burst with idea that "hens aren't noisy". I think experienced chicken owners need to be a bit more frank when telling newbies about the noise of a hen. I have 3 EE pullets. I thought I could keep them discreetly in my 1/2 acre suburban backyard without stirring up any trouble. I often heard "no one will even know you have them!". That has definitely not been the case. They were pretty much quiet up until they started laying. Now, whenever they are about to lay, whenever they hear the other pullet bawking, or just to hear themselves yell, they make very loud "Ba-Gok"ing noises. Of course I love them dearly and find their shrill cackles charming. Unfortunately, not all my neighbors do---especially the ones who leave their windows open at night, and get woken up by one of my hens singing an egg song at 6am. The sounds can be heard down the street. Granted, it may not be any louder than a barking dog, but as my neighbor put it, a barking dog can be brought indoors (actually I've started bringing my girls inside too when they get really loud). And of course there are plenty of people who aren't use to chicken noises, and don't care to hear them at all. I'm now going to have to lock them up in the coop (with no access to run) until at least 7am because I'm afraid the neighbors are going to call in a complaint to the county--and sadly my hens are not legal to keep to begin with.

I have 4 buff orpington girls and they are sooooooo loud!!!! Every morning it sounds as though one chicken after another is being throttled in the henhouse!!! The only relief I get from the noise is when they get to go outside and have treats. I'm not exactly sure why its called an eggsong my one hen sounds like she is dying , and slowly at that. Thank goodness we live in the country where nobody minds the noise!!

They can be pretty loud. I love the egg song but chickenless neighbors won't always appreciate it.

My new girls recently started laying and just the last week or so finally found their voices. Thought they never would. I'd never in my life had such quiet girls when first laying. They've got it down good now, lol. Mine usually could be heard for a country mile or more.

They're loud when they lay and they chatter a bit in the morning until I go out to talk with them, they talk softly after that, and they talk softly if I'm puttering around in the yard. If a hawk flies over (they are protected from hawks but not from seeing them) they sound an alert then are strictly silent for at least a couple of hours. If they have a little squabble they can be a little loud but not for long.

My one house is in a community that chickens would never be allowed by the neighbors (strict HOA). Unless it's a situation like that, maybe your neighbors could be won over with fresh eggs??

Oh, no! I guess I should have researched this further, I just went with the whole chickens are quiet thing and with them becoming so popular in urban and suburban areas it really never occured to me that the hens would be loud. Crap. My son is really attached to them. He's already upset that the rooster has to go.

Crossgirl, I'm with you. I had researched and read many books and asked questions but always heard chickens were quiet. I know I've decided that my girls won't come out until at least 7am. Right now we have excellent, easy going neighbors. However, on one side they are renters (been there for seven years) and are leaving. That's where the chickens are located too. So, we're building a larger walk in run, making sure we keep the coop closed until 7am and trying to keep their mouths busy with fun foods. LOL. They start laying in July and we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
As livestock goes, they're more quiet than some others...except when they lay most neighbors would never know chickens were around if there's no roosters.

Here's a random video of one singing the egg song:
After you hear it you may not think it's too loud for your neighbors.

I hope everything works out with the neighbors. If insulation is a possibility, it could help muffle noise.

There's a mini chicken farm that I pass by when I ride my bicycle and I've never noticed them being loud but maybe I'm just not around at the right time or maybe I just don't find the sounds objectionable. That video was nothing! Could hens be any louder than geese? I used to have geese and no one objected, but we were all on better terms back then.

**edited to add that there were three geese**

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom