just how many quail fit in 1sq. foot?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chrishw, Aug 11, 2013.

1. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    These boogers are just so funny, this is what 100 BW, 5 weeks old, looks like in a pile!

[​IMG]

I think they must be 7 deep in that corner. They have lights on the other side of this cage but I guess they wanted to make their own tonight!

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Oh wow! [​IMG]

I'm a little concerned that it might be too hot for them. If they're trying to avoid the light to the extent of all squishing up into one corner and creating a mountain of quail, than it probably is pretty warm in there for them. I suggest dimming it down a notch to lower the temp.

3. Zrcalo

Zrcalo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Yeah, it looks to me like they're probably too hot!

4. chrishw

chrishw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    The lights about 8 feet from them... and actually was off for a bit (power outage) and only came back on less than 5 minutes before this AND they where like this before the power came back on. So, too chilly might be more likely but given it was about 80 degrees I doubt it, the light had been off for 3 hours.

Also the fact this isn't a one time occurance, they do this every night, only usually 1/2 are under the light and 1/2 are in a corner and they move back n
    and forth... they always sleep in a pile!

Trust me, I've scratched my head quite a bit and figure they will grow out of it but until then they are just silly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by