Just In Time Hatching Egg AUCTION and BIN Thread

I know it is LATE NOTICE but I have these BIN Available till Satruday PM me if you want them so I will not set them. I set eggs EVERY Saturday in the late afternoon so you have over 24hrs to SAVE THESE FROM MY INCUBATOR! LOL Shipping is $18 and I will combine shipping for up to 32 eggs for $20-22 depending on where you are.

12+ Rhodebars - these are great layers and autosexing at hatch. I have 3 girls and I get 2-3 eggs almost EVERYDAY. BIN $25

12+ Blue and Black Rocks SEXLINKED - I have a SOLID blue Cockerel with some silver leaking over 2 blue and 2 reg Barred Rock hens. These make SEXLINKS. All the pullets will be solid blue or black and the roos will have head spots. BIN $25

12+ (2) Isabelle Split Marans (Same stock as Papa Brooders) - 2 Sets of 12 available. All my birds are split for lavender. You will get 25% Lavenders/50% Split for Lavender and 25% Copper Marans. Isabelles are a PROJECT Color and are a lavender Copper marans. Pretty birds. BIN $45

12+ Blue and Black Copper Marans - Black Copper Cockerel over Blue and Black Copper Hens (3 blue 2 black) I am getting 4-5 eggs a day from that pen and I just can't hatch everything so I am sharing the LOVE!. BIN $35

All prices are PLUS Shipping! I will get these out MONDAY Feb 3, 2014

You can find pics on my pages Sorry I am in a rush and need to go paint. BIG move for the chickens coming up!

SOLD on the Rhodebars!
ETA: SOLD on the B/BLC Marans, too!

Last edited:
Since she is smooth-feathered, the ONLY way she can produce frizzled offspring, is if she is mated to a frizzle roo. If SHE has smooth feathers, and you put her with a smooth-feathered roo, you will ONLY get smooth-feathered chicks. There just isn't any such thing as a frizzle CARRIER that does NOT have frizzle feathers. ONE of the parents MUST have frizzle feathers for the chicks to have frizzle feathers.

Also, if she's a true silver-laced hen, and the white silkie is a true white, those aren't their offspring. According to the calculator found HERE with years upon years of scientific research behind it, a silver laced hen bred to a white roo will ONLY produce unicolor white or unicolor black. They won't produce chicks with barring, they won't produce blue, and they won't produce partially brown chicks either.

So if those babies really are from the silver laced hen, then the white silkie can not POSSIBLY be the daddy. If the white silkie was definitely the only possible daddy, then the silver laced hen is definitely NOT the mother.

Now I'm not saying the entire PEN will be smooth feathered, because clearly many of your hens are frizzles, so they can pass the gene to their offspring. But a smooth rooster (the white silkie) bred with a smooth hen (the silver laced) will ONLY produce smooth feathered chicks. Period.
Your not entirely correct either frizzle is a co dominate trait with a homozygous form (frazzle) but there is also a modifying gene that does make Ff carriers appear to have flat feathers but the modifier does not always come with the frizzle gene. Sonoran silkies has written a lot of great info on this modifier gene

Let me throw a spanner into the works. There is a recessive Frizzle modifier that can exist and cause a frizzle gene carrier to look pretty much normal and yet be carrying the frizzle gene. There is alot of debate on how common it is and what breeds you can find it in today. Here is a link to a 1949 book that discusses it. Hutt's book "Genetics of the Fowl" (1949) --
http://chla.library.cornell.edu/cgi...=frameset;view=image;seq=118;page=root;size=s .

In summary:
The Frizzle gene (F) is incompletely dominant, with exhibition quality Frizzles usually with one dose only of the Frizzle gene (F/f+).

But there is a frizzle modifying gene (mf) which is recessive. The mf gene when homozygous (two doses) is a strong modifier of the frizzle trait. Birds with one dose of the frizzle gene (F/f+) & two doses of the modifying gene (mf/mf) may appear predominantly smooth, & may be mistaken for non-frizzle (& not of exhibition quality). Frizzle birds homozygous for both F & mf (F/F mf/mf) may be mistaken for heterozygous F/f+ (one dose of Frizzle gene) with no modifiers (Mf+/Mf+). It is mentioned in the Hutt book that this mf gene is very common in non-frizzled breeds. Many chicken breeders disagree with this assessment, but I see no reason why to disbelieve him until some scientist does refute it with better genetic DNA proof. If those studies are out there, please share it/them with us.

In Hutt's book 1949 "Genetics of the Fowl", there is only a photo of F/f+ mf/mf (heterozygous frizzle, plus modifier). But in the following paper there are photos of all combinations, including F/F mf/mf (homozygous frizzle, plus modifier):

Genetics of the fowl V. The modified frizzle.
F. B. Hutt
Journal of Genetics Volume 32, Number 2, 277-285 1936:

http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/32/277.pdf

And when you see the F/F mf/mf photo, you can see that the phenotype is not exactly exhibition Frizzle phenotype. I.e., there is a difference between F/f+ Mf+/ and F/F mf/mf phenotypes.

Back
Top Bottom