Just In Time Hatching Egg AUCTION and BIN Thread

@DMRippy I have had a zero success rate with shipped eggsx2. ..is there a certain breed that does better, or helpful hints??

@DMRippy I have had a zero success rate with shipped eggsx2. ..is there a certain breed that does better, or helpful hints??

Shipped eggs are a risk. The post office plays a big role in that. 50% would be considered a good hatch. I also use dry incubation that helps ALL my eggs. Some people also let their egg REST before they set them and some don't turn them. I just set and forget I can't change how I incubate for a few eggs.

If you want a really great hatch from shipped eggs you need PULLET EGGS.

I could hatch a rock if a pullet lays it
lol.png
Seriously... shipped pullet eggs hatch great!

The structure of the egg must be stronger- Maybe the albumen is thicker or maybe the chalazae is stronger but somehow that egg withstands shipping stresses better and is more likely to hatch.

The older the hen the more trouble eggs have when shipped. Just my observations
wink.png

I set them out for a few hours and when I put them in the incubator, I plug in the egg Turner immediately. It is probably different for w/o the egg turner. I had VERY bad results when I did not start turning the eggs soon after I put them in the incubator.

also, if you can get the shipper to double box and insulate inside both boxes...that would be best. I got 100% one time and I believe it was due to the eggs being double boxed
I've had TERRIBLE hatches when the eggs come from Florida, South Carolina, not sure why but just YUCK.

If you want a really great hatch from shipped eggs you need PULLET EGGS.

I could hatch a rock if a pullet lays it :lol:   Seriously... shipped pullet eggs hatch great!

The structure of the egg must be stronger- Maybe the albumen is thicker or maybe the chalazae is stronger but somehow that egg withstands shipping stresses better and is more likely to hatch.

The older the hen the more trouble eggs have when shipped. Just my observations  ;)
hmmmm ... interesting. ..

I set them out for a few hours and when I put them in the incubator, I plug in the egg Turner immediately. It is probably different for w/o the egg turner. I had VERY bad results when I did not start turning the eggs soon after I put them in the incubator.

also, if you can get the shipper to double box and insulate inside both boxes...that would be best. I got 100% one time and I believe it was due to the eggs being double boxed
I've had TERRIBLE hatches when the eggs come from Florida, South Carolina, not sure why but just YUCK.
good info ty!!!!

Same here. I haven't had much experience--just 5 sets of shipped eggs. But 2 hatching out of 25 eggs is just getting too expensive a gamble. I use RComs on top of resting the eggs, dryer incubation and keeping incubators in dark, quiet places. I account it to my higher elevation--because the eggs have come in great condition. Anyone else here believe elevation is a big factor?

Maybe not the best place to continue to chat...so sorry and please point us in the right direction. ..but what does dry hatch mean???

hmmmm ... interesting. ..

I've had eggs come from Texas, Colorado and California so not really far at all. The only good hatch I've had were Welsh Harlequin duck eggs that was shipped overnight from another town here in AZ (lower elevation but the closest--7 out of 10 eggs)! So now, just sticking to chicks and just hatching what is laid here in our backyard.

Back
Top Bottom