Just Installed The Add A Motor Coop Door

Thanks for this post. I'm going to have to do something like this before next winter. My job will have me leaving 4-5 hours before light some days and 4-5 hours after dark some days.

Imp

Quote:
I don't think it can be used with side opening doors. The website is a bit ambiguous about this- but in the installation instructions, it says something to the effect of "if you have side-hinged door, change it".

Quote:
During the winter I use pieces of plexiglas that was cut to fit. This summer I am going to use hardware cloth cut to fit so they get ventilation at night. I certainly hope the hardware cloth works against possums, that's what got in last summer and killed two of my chicks and bit the last point of Cleo's comb off. I have a fenced in run off the coop, but the possum got in 'cause I had the doors open for ventilation. It was a really hot summer. I don't have problems with raccoons here, never saw one, so hopefully-----------

Is there such a thing as a solar powered one, or a light sensitve one that will open and close at dawn and dusk. Is that me being a little over ambitious?

the only thing with sensor ones that close at dusk is if it gets stormy through the day, your door is going to close and lock your chickens out. a timer is the easiest.

i have the add-a-motor door opener, absolutely love it. nice not having to worry about being home to make sure the chickens are safe. took my girls approx 3 days to figure out how to put themselves to bed.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom