1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just joined! Five in our flock, hoping we don't lose our Tiny :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweetlittlehens, Aug 21, 2016.

1. sweetlittlehens

sweetlittlehens New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Hello all!

I've read lots of threads from BYC online as we got ready to bring our chicks home. It's been a great resource and hoping to get some expert advice.

We got five straight run chicks middle of February and raised them all together. They've always gotten along and stay close together in the yard (free range, .25 acre) and roost together at night in their coop (3 nesting boxes). We have a Rhode Island Red (leader of the flock), a Black New Jersey Giant, a Black Australorp, a Golden Wyandotte, and a Cochin (listed in order of dominance in the pecking order).

A few days ago, my husband went to close the coop and Tiny (our Black Australorp) wasn't on the roosting bar and was standing on the floor of the coop facing the open door. He didn't think to mention it, but the next night I witnessed the same. The following day, there was such a commotion in the back yard that I thought a predator was after the girls. I didn't see what happened, only the Fluffy (Cochin and lowest bird) run across the yard. Tiny (Black Australorp) followed and was vocalizing loudly and the three other girls ran along the gate to catch up with Fluffy. I walked outside to see what happened and didn't see any hawks, raccoons, or Bob cats and I started to walk back inside when I saw Tiny hiding next to the waterer.
    Her eyes were shut and swollen shut and she was so tired she couldn't stand. She has been totally healthy and even laid an egg in her weakened state. I took her to the vet and they said her eyes are in tact and gave her some pain meds and she's on antibiotics now. She's drinking pretty regularly but not eating much but a little mash. I'm keeping her away from the other gems for now and she is sleeping inside with us.
    She doesn't have pasty butt and was acting normally until a couple days ago. If you have any advice, ideas, or thoughts on what this might be? So far, we are just keeping her away from the other birds and administering antibiotics twice daily. I'm also putting warm cotton balls on her eyes, followed by near tears, then antibiotic ointment. I took her outside today to feel the sun, get fresh air, hear the flock. I just hope we aren't going to lose her :( we love her so :( my son saved up his money for 3 1/2 years for his flock and would be devastated :(

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Cynthia12 has given you the best link - hopefully the experts there can assist.

Good luck
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You might coax her back to eating with some tempting treats, mashed hard boiled egg, warm oatmeal, plain yogurt, watermelon.

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sweet littlehens, and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Hope the folks over in the emergency section were able to help you out. Best of luck to you. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Hello from South Dakota and Welcome to the backyard chickens flock! [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. sweetlittlehens

sweetlittlehens New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Nobody responded to my post on the Emergencies, injuries thread :( I'm so worried because she isn't eating at all, I have to open her beak and drop food in and she's fighting me to open her beak :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by