Just Joined the fun...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamaschicks, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mamaschicks

mamaschicks New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    East Bay Burbs, California
    Hi All~
    I'm new to raising chickens and am so glad I found this site! We only have 3 chicks, they are 8 weeks now, and all three have very different personalities! They are "Daisy" a Buff Orphington, "Sadie" a Silver Laced Wyandotte and "LuLu" a Light Brahma.

I hold these chicks and talk to them several times a day, give them treats and let them roam the backyard when the weather is nice. The BO is adorable & sweet and will let me pick her up and cuddle. Once I finally catch and pick up the SLW, she is great to hold, she is just so skiddish and afraid I'm having a hard time catching her without frighting her. Is that normal with this breed? The beauty is the LB, she lets me pick her up and cuddle but she has to be able to see the other 2 chicks or she goes crazy with the "I'm lost" chruping. She is also very entertaining, not sure if she knows she's a chicken, when she goes outside she is so happy she hops like a bunny! Or she she'll run full blast towards the other 2 and jumps on them like a puppy in a very playful way!

I had no idea these chicks could be so fun...I'm really working hard to overcome some of the their insecurities tho, any help at all would be very appreciated.

~Mamaschicks!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome !
    Sounds like things are going well for you so far. A lot of people are anxious about their chicks at first, but the lil' gals are much more resilient than most think. There was a big thread about this a couple of weeks ago in Raising Chicks, I don't know if I'd be able to find it again. :lol:

It's good you're noticing their personalities, as those do start to show through after a while. I'm not sure about the SLWs as a breed, but I do know the orps are meant to be very friendly and enjoy cuddles. Sounds like yours!

Don't hesitate to ask questions any time you need. Enjoy the site and your journey with chickens. :D

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by