Just joined today!!!

AKfarmgirlCL

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Alaska
Hello to everyone from up here in Alaska!!!!
I have just joined up....what caught my eye was the Wichita Coop!!! So adorable!!!!
It's great to be in contact now with so many people who think that raising Chickens & gathering your own home-grown delicious eggs are the way to go!!
I am a home-grown Alaskan! & would love to hear what people think would be the best Breed of Chicken for Alaska!

Welcome to BYC! We just returned from a visit to Alaska a couple of weeks ago. It was our second time to vacation there and we love it. I would suggest Black Australorps for Alaska. They are very cold hardy, gentle and calm, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Another recommendation if you don't mind owning hybrids (they won't breed true like the Australorps) is Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are friendly, brown egg laying machines. Good luck up in Alaska.

images

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You might want to stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors to find out what breeds do best in your climate and how to survive your brutal winters....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/84141/north-to-alaska

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! We just returned from a visit to Alaska a couple of weeks ago. It was our second time to vacation there and we love it. I would suggest Black Australorps for Alaska. They are very cold hardy, gentle and calm, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Another recommendation if you don't mind owning hybrids (they won't breed true like the Australorps) is Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are friendly, brown egg laying machines. Good luck up in Alaska.

I forgot to add that though I never lived in Alaska, I did raise Black Australorps for a while in northern Kansas where the temperature reached 30 below zero F one winter, and they did just fine in a dry, draft free coop.

Glad that you visit AK...we love to talk to people from 'outside' & get their perspective on things!! I will look up the Alaska Thread....I hadn't gotten that far yet :) Thanks to all for the warm welcome!!!

Back
Top Bottom