Just joined up!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Annajose, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Annajose

Annajose New Egg

Oct 29, 2016
    I live in central Maine on a small hobby farm. My husband and I totally enjoy our diverse breeds of poultry.
    Currently we have one much spoiled black bantam, Miss Peeps. I raised her from a chick to replace one we'd lost. She is a very avid brooder...twice this year..first she hatched one of the hens eggs...being small she's lucky enough to avoid, Rupert, our senior Roo. Alas the chick she hatched is a gorgeous Blue/Grey/Barred Rock cross with our colorful Americana Roo. Second hatching was from a NH red hen, Ginger, that had the usual collection of eggs which produced TWO more roosters!!!!! and a lovely lady that I've named Missy Gray. A faithful barred rock hen hatched out a pretty buff, rust lady for the flock when Miss decided that she would not move down to the floor for hatching as she brooded in a nest on the wall....bad Miss Peeps..finally had to break her brooding by caging her outside for 3 days in the light and that put her back to her normal sproiled brat nature...when I shut up the stalls at night she swoops onto my arm to sample some treats!
    The juvenile roosters came with attitudes but are slowly intergrating, however, it's not a situation that can go on as roosters are hard on the girls and two and four is waaaaaaaay bad. What does one do with excess roosters. I love them all but it seems they are very hard to find forever homes for them. Any tips??
    I am so looking forward to enjoying this group.
    Annajose

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I personally pick out my favorites and butcher the extras. Great meat for the freezer! Some people take them to local auctions and sell them and others advertise them for free on Craigslist. It all depends on what you want. Best of luck with them!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too dispatch mine if I can't find forever homes for them. Once confirmed as boys they get a couple of weeks of being advertised and if there are no takers they are dispatched. I know that they have had a well cared for life and the end is quick for them. I would much rather do this than them end up in unscrupulous hands. I'm afraid it's the downside of hatching eggs that you will always have excess boys.

Good luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

6. LePeep1

LePeep1 New Egg

Oct 29, 2016
    Hello,
    I too am new to BYC and have raised our chickens from chicks. Our rooster LePeep has always been very gentle. We handle them all as often as we can. However they are approx six months old now & LePeep is becoming aggressive, over protective I guess. Is their something we can do to make him feel more at ease? They free range durning the day, and I now am becoming afraid to go out in the yard with them.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Annajose, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! I tend to agree with an ealier post...excess roosters are tasty! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I agree that chicken stew is the way to go here. We have several articles and threads on butchering chickens if you have not done it before. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by