Just joined

koleary99

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Hello All!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Ten years ago my significant other and I free-ranged 40 chickens for several years until predation caught up with the flock. Now that I am alone during this pandemic, I needed "company," and since I find great hilarity in a chicken flock, last spring, I bought twelve. Unfortunately, one night, a weasel or another small predator slipped through a small hole in the coop's siding and bit off all their heads when they were but 8 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? My son rebuilt the old coop and buttoned it up before I ordered 15 more from a hatchery and got one free.

(3) What breeds do you have? Three each of Ida Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Marans, Sex-links, and Plymouth Blue Rocks ... oh and the freebie, Carla, who turned out to be Carl.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Mine haven't started laying yet, probably not until Feb. 2021, but I enjoy the way they come running to greet me, nestling up to my legs. A few allow me to pick them up. Tactile sensations and chicken hugs have to replace human contact for awhile!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I like to draw and paint--chickens will be my new subjects. I have an orchard and kitchen garden on a 14-acre farm. I volunteer in the Friends organization at the community library, and love working on genealogy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a widow with two children and can't wait to greet a second grandchild in January 2021. I used to teach French and English in secondary schools and in college.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I stumbled upon BYC doing a Google search for information on chickens several months ago and joined because other people's experiences are valuable for a healthy flock.

Hello All!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Ten years ago my significant other and I free-ranged 40 chickens for several years until predation caught up with the flock. Now that I am alone during this pandemic, I needed "company," and since I find great hilarity in a chicken flock, last spring, I bought twelve. Unfortunately, one night, a weasel or another small predator slipped through a small hole in the coop's siding and bit off all their heads when they were but 8 weeks old.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? My son rebuilt the old coop and buttoned it up before I ordered 15 more from a hatchery and got one free.

(3) What breeds do you have? Three each of Ida Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Marans, Sex-links, and Plymouth Blue Rocks ... oh and the freebie, Carla, who turned out to be Carl.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Mine haven't started laying yet, probably not until Feb. 2021, but I enjoy the way they come running to greet me, nestling up to my legs. A few allow me to pick them up. Tactile sensations and chicken hugs have to replace human contact for awhile!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I like to draw and paint--chickens will be my new subjects. I have an orchard and kitchen garden on a 14-acre farm. I volunteer in the Friends organization at the community library, and love working on genealogy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a widow with two children and can't wait to greet a second grandchild in January 2021. I used to teach French and English in secondary schools and in college.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I stumbled upon BYC doing a Google search for information on chickens several months ago and joined because other people's experiences are valuable for a healthy flock.

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom