Just joined

Wanda500

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hi, I'm Wanda500 and I just joined BYC. I have my coop half built....hope to finish it up tomorrow. Now all I have to do is get someone to move it into place. I am a disabled veteran and primarily want to raise chickens to control the abundance of ticks I have in my yard. My record summer I had 46 ticks, and I don't like it. I know absolutely nothing about chickens except the little I remember from my grandmothers farm. I'm happy to be here and look forward to learning. All comments, suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Great to have a fellow Veteran
wee.gif

Now these will hunt ticks .... She was missing but I found her Yesterday !!!!
jumpy.gif

Thank you for your years in service. I don't know anything about guineas except that everyone says they are the real TICK EATERS. You may want to consider them. If you go to the "Other Backyard Poultry" forum above, you can find threads on guineas and get questions answered there.

Thank you for your warm welcome. BTW, I was Army - family tradition. ;-) I've been reading articles and I've scared myself. Diseases, toys, correct food, dust baths? Am signing off for the night, but will be back tomorrow. Have lots of questions and worries. I sure don't want to harm any animal - especially through ignorance!!!!!
Wanda500

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck getting the coop finished, X4, sounds like you need some chickens and guineas, can't stand the ticks either! check out the Guinea Fowl forum www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of poultry keeping you might find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread And, Thank You for your years of service!

Back
Top Bottom