Just looking for opinions. 3 20 week old pullets just started laying. Is this soft shell normal?

PULLETS almost 20 weeks old 10 days ago our Dominique started laying (1 egg every other day) Sunday our Golden comet started (2 egg per day so far) today I THINK our black star laid the soft shelled egg for 1st time.
2 other girls been consistent laying in the nest. Found a softshelled egg ubder the roost at roost/bedtime. The only girl that didnt lay yet was black star so we think it hers. Eggs are still tiny but 1st pic is eggs from 1st 2 girls over past week, dominque light shell & golden comet brown egg a few days ago and 2nd pic of the soft shell tonite
Do you think im correct it came from our 3rd pullet? Is this Ok or is she sick? Shes bullied by the "docile breed" but very much the bigger bird in size. Is there anything i can do to correct the softshell.
They all were eating grower feed w crushed eggshell until i starte them on layer feed this morning ? Thanks

Attachments

• 20220928_213123.jpg
    20220928_213123.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 13
I think their diet with the higher calcium, (layer feed @ 4% calcium) should correct their egg laying. Keep offering the crushed egg shells always. A good way to recycle a good mineral.
Your pullets are still growing/developing, so some of the calcium they eat,,,,,, goes to the development of their bones. If you can source some Crushed oyster shells,, would be good to offer free-choice. I have been doing this always. Not very expensive,, and a bag lasts a very long time. (it does not spoil, since it is a mineral, not feed) I only keep a small flock of hens,,, as pets.
When chickens first start laying egg, not all things are fully functional. In short order/time , things do correct themselves.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I think their diet with the higher calcium, (layer feed @ 4% calcium) should correct their egg laying. Keep offering the crushed egg shells always. A good way to recycle a good mineral.
Your pullets are still growing/developing, so some of the calcium they eat,,,,,, goes to the development of their bones. If you can source some Crushed oyster shells,, would be good to offer free-choice. I have been doing this always. Not very expensive,, and a bag lasts a very long time. (it does not spoil, since it is a mineral, not feed) I only keep a small flock of hens,,, as pets.
When chickens first start laying egg, not all things are fully functional. In short order/time , things do correct themselves.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you. I've not seen oyster shell in stores but will order some

Thank you. I've not seen oyster shell in stores but will order some
All the feed stores should carry them. I just checked TSC. here is what they have,,,, cash and carry. If you mail order things,,, the price jumps on items due to shipping costs. There is no such thing,,, as FREE SHIPPING,, it is incorporated into the sale price. :old
Of course if you have to travel FAR to get some,,, then the shipping is a preferred choice:thumbsup

From TSC website.
image_2022-09-29_144612367.png

Back
Top Bottom