Just lost a Chick!

root_mama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 6, 2009
We just lost our first chick.
sad.png

Are there any herbs we can add to their feed to promote chick health? We are using unmedicated feed, but would love to supplement with herbs.

<3

Natural, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in their water is really good for them, especially their immune system. I don't remember the amount, I think it's a couple tablespoons per gallon of water. Natural Plain Yogurt is good for them too, you can give it to them plain or mix some of their food into it. Hope this helps
jumpy.gif

I've been using Tahitian Noni Juice or Ocean Spray Cran-Blueberry juice (watered down, usually 1 part juice 2 parts water). The liquid doesn't need to be ground up to extract the nutrients, making it very easy for them to benefit from even without adding grit to their diet.

I use medicated Starter/Grower and plenty of well water. I have only lost one chick. It was sick when I got it. I have had no health issues with my birds. I have a friend that is a vet. Once in awhile she looks at my birds and has not found any health issues. The medication in the Starter/Grower feed is sulfa based. It inhibits the growth of cocci so the cocci can't reproduce. Amprolium, is the medication in feed. Only a problem if you have allergies to sulfa or are super sensitive to sulfa drugs.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about the loss of your chick
sad.png

I agree about the Apple Cider Vinegar. I've used it with my grown hens and it not only controlled the algae content of the water, but I can tell my chickens look and feel better.

I use about a tablespoon or two per gallon. The chickens don't like to drink it if the taste is too strong.

Back
Top Bottom