Just lost a Chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by root_mama, Mar 8, 2009.

1. root_mama

root_mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    We just lost our first chick. [​IMG]

Are there any herbs we can add to their feed to promote chick health? We are using unmedicated feed, but would love to supplement with herbs.

<3

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    theres a vitiman and electrolyte pack you can add to the water.
    sorry bout your loss.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Natural, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in their water is really good for them, especially their immune system. I don't remember the amount, I think it's a couple tablespoons per gallon of water. Natural Plain Yogurt is good for them too, you can give it to them plain or mix some of their food into it. Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've been using Tahitian Noni Juice or Ocean Spray Cran-Blueberry juice (watered down, usually 1 part juice 2 parts water). The liquid doesn't need to be ground up to extract the nutrients, making it very easy for them to benefit from even without adding grit to their diet.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use medicated Starter/Grower and plenty of well water. I have only lost one chick. It was sick when I got it. I have had no health issues with my birds. I have a friend that is a vet. Once in awhile she looks at my birds and has not found any health issues. The medication in the Starter/Grower feed is sulfa based. It inhibits the growth of cocci so the cocci can't reproduce. Amprolium, is the medication in feed. Only a problem if you have allergies to sulfa or are super sensitive to sulfa drugs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  6. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your chick [​IMG]

I agree about the Apple Cider Vinegar. I've used it with my grown hens and it not only controlled the algae content of the water, but I can tell my chickens look and feel better.

7. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    How much apple cider vinegar did you use per gallon?

8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I use about a tablespoon or two per gallon. The chickens don't like to drink it if the taste is too strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by