Just lost a chicken for the first time...........

Desirai

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Alabama
... I am upset :(
I am out of town and my mom called to tell me one of my chickens was found dead... I am so sad. I don't know any details other than she was found dead.. my grandpa buried her. I knew it was inevitable, but I am still upset.

I don't know which chicken either, mom said "one of the yellow ones" but I have 5 buff cochins.. so it was Honker Sister 1, Honker sister 2, June, July or Tredigar.... no way to know til I get home and count my chickens...

I'm so upset :(

RIP my chicken :(

Awwwww.....It is always so painful to lose a chicken. Losing the first one is the hardest. I'm so sorry for your loss.
cry-blow.gif
sorry.gif

Kelly​

Last edited:
hugs everyone. I've been depressed over this :( can't get out of the depression. I know she was so scared.. and I wasn't there to protect her :(

hugs everyone. I've been depressed over this :( can't get out of the depression. I know she was so scared.. and I wasn't there to protect her :(
Desirai

I understand how hard it is to lose a pet chicken
cheerup.gif
. But I can promise your that your pain will lessen with time. It sound so cliche, but there really is truth to it. When we keep animals of prey as pets, there is always a risk at loss. Sometimes, it's by a persistent predator breaking in, and sometime it can be a mistake by us (forgetting to lock them up safe at night). Other times they get sick. The risk of loss is always there. You still have all your other precious Henny's, and that is a blessing. It will get better though. I promise.

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm on a board of a dog rescue and when one of us experience a loss of our furbabies we always talk about the Rainbow Bridge for our dogs. Perhaps there is a special Rainbow bridge for our feathered friends as well?

I'm sure that chickens cross the rainbow bridge with our other furbabies. I'm just so depressed at how she was lost. Being so scared and in pain and being alone. I feel like if I had been home instead of with my boyfriend I could have saved her.

I know how you feel. I lost Stan the Man to a predator because I was too ill to follow our usual routine. He free ranged during the day (to give the ladies a break from his amorous advances), and I opened the door for him every evening to allow him nightly coop privileges. Due to extreme nausea, I couldn't make it outside at the usual time one evening, and he was gone by the time I was able to get to the coop. I felt guilty over not being on time for quite some time. I still miss my crazy rooster who liked to play with his food like a cat.

Lost my first chicken today. It was during the day and we were home. No feathers or signs of a predator. Very alarming and sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom