Just lost my second Orpington in 1 week

h8snags

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Murray, UT
I just lost my 2nd Orpington this morning.. Exactly the same thing happened as the first one.. One minute they were running around, being normal healthy chickens, then the next she just dropped. They both died in less than a minute. Both were getting their waddles in, so not sure that it could be egg binding. What could it be? There are no symptoms of anything wrong. They have been eating and drinking normally, It has been in the 90's here, I give them frozen grapes and watermelon to cool them off, as well as ice in their water.. they free range with me in the afternoons. The one I just lost is 20 1/2 weeks old. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear it.. I don't want to lose any more!!!
hit.gif

I don't think its the heat. They do surprising well with heat. i don't really know to be honest. Did they have mites? Have they been wormed?
I don't what to suggest. Did they have a cough or anything?
Sorry for your lose. I hope someone can help...
Daisy, xx

No coughing, sneezing, mites, or worms.. No signs of anything! I keep their run clean and dust with de.. I found no diareah or anything! I haven't wormed them, they have de in their food.. not sure what it could be, but something isn't right... Thanks Daisy!

Next time one dies, put it in the refrigerator as soon as possible and get it to the state lab for necropsies. Most states will do it free for backyard flock owners. Then you will have a definitive answer, instead of guesses from people that don't know your chickens, your setup, or your weather like you do.

Back
Top Bottom