Just me....

MidgetChicken

Hatching
8 Years
May 28, 2011
I get nauseous while browsing here simply because of the "food" section of the forum. I like chicken meat, especially organic AND only when my mom or sisters cooks with them, but I just can't stomach it here hahaha No offense to anyone, I know this is a strange thing. I just thought I share it since I'm registered
smile.png
And yes, I advert my eyes whenever possible hehe

This happens when I'm reading books on chickens as well. I just prefer to read about raising and raising only and not about recipes of the chickens you are raising. And before anyone gets upset my family raise and eat chickens. I guess I just don't like feeling good about chickens and then knowing they will be eaten. Yes, weird and strange but meh
smile.png

Andrew,

It is hard raising something so cute and fluffy then chop its head off several weeks later to serve it as dinner. I raised my current chickens as pets not livestock. However, I can raise chickens as livestock and hire somebody else to process them.

Raise Cornish X. They're not like other chickens. They are monsters. You are actually happy to get them turned into food. I prefer someone else process the birds. I've done it around 20 times and it's stinky. Even the guy that does the processing says he makes little profit and does it more as a service to the community to encourage people to buy his meat in exchange.

It's not just you Andrew, lots of people feel this way because our society is totally out of touch with the reality of what it takes to grow our own food. We have everything done for us and we have huge organizations that work very hard at humanizing the feelings towards animals.

I have 3 teen boys. One of the reasons we decided to do chickens is to get my boys BACK into reality. It is fine to care & love animals, but honestly, if something happened tomorrow..I NEED my boys to know how to be able to provide for their family...if they don't..then I did not do my job correctly and that harms them, not me.

That's the great thing about this forum. If you don't like what is posted in a particular section, just don't click it!

I am happy knowing that the chicken I eat had a great life and a humane death, something that I can't say for all commercially raised chicken.

I'll admit that I can cut off a chickens head without a problem. Don't think I could kill a goat though. The stupid things are like dogs. They run around wagging their tails and will kiss you if you stick your face next to them. I could mercy kill any animal. Dogs, cats, goats, horses, milk cows I could only kill out of mercy or if I was starving. How are sheep? Do they really go Bah ram ewe?

Quote:
I'm with you when it comes to goats. They are just too friendly and cuddly. I think I could help butcher one after it has died but I don't think I could be the one to do the killing. Chickens are easier because I already view them as food.

Quote:
I'm with you when it comes to goats. They are just too friendly and cuddly. I think I could help butcher one after it has died but I don't think I could be the one to do the killing. Chickens are easier because I already view them as food.

It's funny, they look at you with that same look a dog gives you. We keep the goat that's not being milked tied to the wall behind the stand till both goats are milked. They will nibble at my shirt the whole time to get me to scratch them.

We had a dog that was around 17 and got cancer. One day it fell down in the backyard and started dying. My Dad saw it and went out to help him. He was my sisters dog and she was very attached to him. My Dad saw that he was suffering and he strangled him with his hands before my DS could see him. We had no guns. My Dad says that the look the dog gave him was something he never forgot.

Back
Top Bottom