Just moved in and inherited the girls ... but this doesn't look right!

8x10 run should be ok for 7 chickebs (10 ft each)

The coop is small 4 hens max though in some cases a few more can be housed comfortably.

Certainly work on the coop if you can.

Since you do have a second coop you could possibly seperate a few for a while also. Make sure three is no blood and keep an eye on ones with sore spots as the extra red can encourage pecking too

X2

Do either of the 2 barreds have bare spots? The striped ones...

I've heard they can be bullies if they get the chance to take over as head hens...
I will have to double check but I don't believe so. The reds were the worst, the light brown o es - one had it underneath their hind end and the other very small on the back.

8x10 run should be ok for 7 chickebs (10 ft each)

The coop is small 4 hens max though in some cases a few more can be housed comfortably.

Certainly work on the coop if you can.

Since you do have a second coop you could possibly seperate a few for a while also. Make sure three is no blood and keep an eye on ones with sore spots as the extra red can encourage pecking too
That's a relaly good idea! It might take the full week to rebuild something and I don't want anything to get worse!

Oh my gosh you guys are amazing!! Is it just because of the crown flap that you can tell?! That would at least explain it!
I'm suspicious because of the tail feathers. :) They look long on that bird, and like they curve over.

Hens and roosters can both have large combs and wattles (the red parts on their head and faces) depending on the breed of chicken. However, roosters all have distinctive feathering with very few exceptions, and a mature rooster will have these feathers that make him easy to spot.

I am attaching a photo of two of my late chickens. The one on the left is a hen. Her feathers are rounded on her tail, head poof, and her neck. The one on the right is a rooster. His are pointy, and he has long tail feathers that curve over.

Attachments

• victoria.jpg
    victoria.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
I think the one @BabyBoss is referring to just looks to have long curved feathers because the feathers in front are all missing and if this was mating damage, that bird would not have any feather loss, when clearly it has.
I certainly don't see a rooster there.
@sawilliams may be onto something with the Barred Rocks. If you have the opportunity to house some separately, those might be the two to move, but it will take time for the feathers to regrow on the others. Spraying them with Blue Kote might help and pinless peepers on the Barred Rocks to prevent them from seeing directly ahead, until you can make them some alternative accommodation. Unfortunately once it becomes a habit it is quite hard to break, so penning them separately might be the best answer at least for a few months until they have got over it.

I think the one @BabyBoss is referring to just looks to have long curved feathers because the feathers in front are all missing and if this was mating damage, that bird would not have any feather loss, when clearly it has.
I certainly don't see a rooster there.
@sawilliams may be onto something with the Barred Rocks. If you have the opportunity to house some separately, those might be the two to move, but it will take time for the feathers to regrow on the others. Spraying them with Blue Kote might help and pinless peepers on the Barred Rocks to prevent them from seeing directly ahead, until you can make them some alternative accommodation. Unfortunately once it becomes a habit it is quite hard to break, so penning them separately might be the best answer at least for a few months until they have got over it.
Definitely possible!

These is a better picture. Her tail doesn't look different to me but obviously you guys would know better. But the darker ones tail does. Could that one be a rooster? I don't know breed so maybe it just looks different to me because she is a different breed. Oi my book needs to come in the mail!
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4573.JPG

These is a better picture. Her tail doesn't look different to me but obviously you guys would know better. But the darker ones tail does. Could that one be a rooster? I don't know breed so maybe it just looks different to me because she is a different breed. Oi my book needs to come in the mail! View attachment 1148840View attachment 1148841
Definitely hens... I also don't see a rooster....

I think you should separate the barred rocks as well. Bit of a pattern there, they aren't pecked but everyone else is. :)
I separated the barred rocks and gold one above yesterday. BUT I noticed one of the red is not pecked! My husband saw it pin down another chicken while we were catching the other three. So now I'm worried I didn't take out the right ones and the others are just more resistant .... but I will keep an eye out and see!

Back
Top Bottom