Just moved. When can they free range?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
We just moved from a home in a neighborhood on 1/2 an acre to a home on 11 acres. We have the coop and run up and just brought our chickens to the new house. I currently have them closed up in their 10x10 coop. At our old house we would let them free range on days when we were home all day and they always stayed on our property and would go into their coop and run at dusk. When can we start letting them free range at the new place? I'm afraid they will wander too far off and not find their coop.

Personally, I would let them out into the run, and see if they return to the coop tonight. Then after a week of that, I would be pretty confident about letting them out. Some people would just let them out in the late afternoon so they would not get too far.

Beware, a new place can mean new and more predators.

MRs K

I would let them roam and be out of the coop for a while. Chickens will only so far from their coop especially if they have live in it all their lives.

Personally, I would let them out into the run, and see if they return to the coop tonight. Then after a week of that, I would be pretty confident about letting them out. Some people would just let them out in the late afternoon so they would not get too far.

Beware, a new place can mean new and more predators.

MRs K
We have LOTS of predators at our new house. We hear coyotes in the woods almost every night and the previous owner said sometimes they would see one in the field. We've replaced the chicken wire with hardware cloth and welded wire fence. The coop is completely predator proof. The run still needs the roof put on it so I will be closing them in the coop when we aren't home.

I misunderstood. I think then you could let them out in the late afternoon. The strange surroundings should keep them close to the coop for a while. In my experience, coyotes tend to snatch chickens in broad daylight. Sometimes right in front of you. Coons get them in the dark, if you have coyotes, I would bet you have coons. Do keep your free ranging time irregular, and do create a run that they can go into lock down for weeks at a time. Cause once the predators find you, they will be back.

Mrs K

The coop is completely predator proof. The run still needs the roof put on it so I will be closing them in the coop when we aren't home.
I'd leave them in the coop until you have the roof on the run.
Then do this.....
I would let them out into the run, and see if they return to the coop tonight. Then after a week of that, I would be pretty confident about letting them out. Some people would just let them out in the late afternoon so they would not get too far.

Best of cLuck...and Congrats on the new place!

Back
Top Bottom