1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just my luck!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jayne, Nov 9, 2010.

1. jayne

jayne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Well after finally getting rid of my mean and very loud rooster last month.. no use for him as none of my girls ever went broody. My buff has decided to sit on her eggs, anyone elses eggs and golf balls.. she is perched high on a wobbly stack of anything round she can find! I go take out the eggs much to her disgust and put her outside..but she just waddles straight back in pushes the other girls out of the favorite nest box and hops back in UGGHHH I really dont want to have her broody as the weather is miserable and have not got a place to put her away from the others even if I got fertilized eggs... what can I do to break her from sitting... any suggestions..

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wire bottomed cage with no bedding. Cool breeze on her backside should snap her out of it. Give her three days in a wire cage and then put her back in with the flock. If she heads right back to the nesting box, then put her back in the cage for another day or two. Rinse and repeat until she no longer shows any interest in the nesting boxes.

Good luck.

3. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I did that and more and nothing worked!!! soooooo I now have 4 newly hatched buff silkies and waitng for 2 other black to hatch.
    I had to give up! She is indoors with me and hubby in a small pen and now is happy! She hatched out 5 babes in july ..raised them and stayed with everyone for 4 weeks and went back to broody. I tried and tried -even tried fake eggs - still broody and the last resort was to let her have her way! Now we are all happy! She is the first hen to wear me down!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Yeah, I hear ya! I have a chronic broody that has been at it for nearly 2.5 years. I normally don't keep roos, so she has been broody with no end in sight for nothing. I have been threatening to throw her skinny, free-loading butt in the stew pot for ages. I finally have a roo that I am testing out, so she's going to get a chance to finally hatch out some chicks in the spring. All I have to say is she had better be the best mother on the planet... or else she's headed for the pot.

5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Well I see I'm a little late! But i thought I'de tell you any way... I've never tried my self but several people have told me that giveing them a bath will break even the most determined broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by