Just need to vent about my dog

Since he is so well behaved in the house, have you considered tying him up when he is outside? You can rig a hook next to your front door so that the leash is always right there. It may buy you time while you train him to stay near you in the front yard (treats in pockets work wonders). Once he is reliably staying within a certain distance of you at all times, you can try him off lead again. It could take awhile, but if this is his only real issue it may be worth trying.

The guy swearing in front of your kids was out of line. Kicking the dog in self defense is one thing, but a full on tirade is uncalled for unless he was really, seriously bit.

Quote:
Yes we are going to try tying him up. Husband came home and started working with him! The kids and the dog listen to him!!!! ARGH! I must be to much of a softy. Hubby got onto the dog and he came running to me laid across my feet and would not move. IF HE WOULD LEARN TO STAY IN THE YARD HE WOULD BE FINE!!!!! So we are working with him and fixing the fence.
The guy was not bit and if he was I don't know when it happend I was right there! I just don't know, but if I can help it this will not happen again.

Im not flaming, and I havent read ANY of the replies.

JRTs arent for everyone, they were made for a very specific purpose, and if they dont have a way to focus their instinct, they tend to "misbehave".

Do as much reading as you can about them, their history, and their job.

My JRT has killed so many of my chickens, he bites my friends, and wants to hunt and kill ANY living creature he crosses paths with.
He is my boy, and I wouldnt give him up for ANYTHING.

The world is lucky that Parson Jack Russell wanted a small dog . . .
wink.png

If my dog was even 25lbs, Id be in a lot of trouble.

Quote:
We would be in much trouble if elliot was any bigger! He isn't even full blooded think he is mixed with a duchand (probably butchered that.) My daughter over heard me telling my husband I wanted to get rid of him and she totally freaked out. So, we are going to try this. I took him out tonight to go potty,we have the spot at the gate blocked off, but he went straight for it! Hubby got onto him and he hasn't gone back to try at all! Maybe there is hope. But I know elliot and I know its not going to be easy..........

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, pun intended
smile.png
, but has it occurred to you that the dog considered this particular person a threat to the family. Does JR fly off the handle when anyone goes by or is it just this particular person?

I have never seen this guy before and my neighbor had never seen this guy before. So it is possible he sensed something. He barks at everyone that walks by he even barks at my kids when they come off the school bus
hmm.png
If he gets out to run after someone he usually just runs behind them and barks but this was different AND this guy made an on purpose come close to my gate manuver. I don't know. I don't like him getting out. I hate that there are other dogs running around, I hate being part of that problem!

You should try a remote controlled shock collar, mine has HELPED me get my point across.
At the very least, it will make him stop in his tracks.

A dachsund is a dog bred for a very similar purpose as a JRT.

Most terriers have that focused sheer determination/stubborn mentality, it is hard to rid them of it.

Like I said, you need to find a way to focus that energy into something positive.

I take my JRT hunting for ground squirrels and such, lets him be who he is and get it out of his system for a while.
A lot of folks use agility training, or frisbee catching, etc . . .

I knew what I was getting into, and I love my dog, would never want a different one.

JRT are a high maitenence dog, not just something to keep in the backyard or house all day, they get bored easily.
Part of the "problem" is that they were bred to be independant and to make their own life or death decisions while in a hole after quarry.

Tying that dog up will only make it worse I think.

Focus, focus, focus . . . thats the key.

Last edited:
If you really want to keep him...here is a solution

http://www.allk-9.com/1900-ncp-field-star-p-370.html

I bought one for my great pyr/lab pup who would not listen...and it works like a charm.

The first time he ran off and would not respond to me...I said "Casca Come" and I nicked him once at a 55 setting...he twitched and kept running so I repeated it and nicked him at 65 he yelped but kept going...so I called him one more time and I nicked him at 80 and flipped him off his feet. He stood up and ran his butt home. It has correction settings up to 127, it has a continuous setting if needed which nicks him every 5 seconds or so until I release it and it has a recall/pager.

Now, I just grab the controller and he sees it in my hand...he comes when called without having to nick him and he does not run off.

It has a 1/2 mile range and works great! I will go on to say that when I got it in the mail, I charged it up and put the collar around my bare thigh and I nicked myself at various settings. Why you ask? I wanted to know what my dog was going to feel and whether or not it was cruel...it isn't cruel but it the sudden nick alarms you and gets your attention...there is a shock of course but not too awful. I have had it over a year and it was the best $250 I have spent for both myself and my boy. It protects him and me.
thumbsup.gif

Sign your dog and your husband up for obedience and agility training... There is some amazing things you can do with a Jack russel... Until then.... Get him on a line... Nothing like a good cable to keep him where he belongs... He is bored... He need some good old fashioned training... Keep him on a line even in the house. Teach him to walk on a lead.. I use a choke collar for training the word come I give them a chance to obey and then I pull on the lead with one sharp tug... They learn very quickly what come means... I only use the choker for training and not everyone in the family gets to train the dog... It is specific teaching that will be your friend. When you can get them to learn the basics like, sit, stay and come and they can perform that religiously then I would take the lesson outside and get a "stranger' to walk by and teach the lesson on a lead when they lung the line they get the treatment they asked for... Jack Russels are very bright high energy dog so agility training is soooo very fun for the whole family and it makes the dog very tired which makes for a less active minded dog... Good luck and I hope you can find an agility group in your area to help you... Those ppl are passionate about dogs and you might find that your little Fido is the dog of your dreams... Good luck to you...and your pet. If you find you need to rehome him.. He would make someone dedicated a real nice agility prospect.. Check with your local 4h to see if any of the kids needs a dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
big_smile.png
-E0qIS4lPY&feature=related

Thank you so much everyone! Today was just a bad day from the start! My 2 year old decided to put my video camera in the dogs water bowl:(
barnie.gif
Then the elliot incident!
he.gif
I think all of the ideas are great! I am going first thing in the morning to get him some things from the pet store. We talked about the shock collar. Think we decided to try that. Sounds so horrible! Elliot loves running up and down the backyard chasing our other dog. He wears sugar out sugar would be so mad if we got rid of her buddy!!!! Thanks again! I know this is going to take some commitment. It made me feel so bad tonight when he came up to me and laid across my feet! Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom