Just need to vent...

Quote:
Pretty sure that weasels will drink the blood, and you should be able to find puncture marks if you search through feathers. I can't think of why BIL would take off if he wasn't the culprit.

Agreed. I wasn't trying to be contrary, just stating that it was my first thought when I first started reading the thread. It can be hard to find the puncture marks from a weasel. Mostly in the "wing-pits" of my chickens. I had to look very hard before I saw them. It does seem mighty suspicious that the BIL took off right afterward, and I hope that OP takes every precaution to keep herself and her family safe.

You wasn't being contrary. I appreciate everyones comments. I did look for puncture wounds and things and there weren't any. In ways I do wish that if it had to happen that it would have been something with 4 legs instead of a family member.

There were comments made by him to people that make me 100% sure it was him. These were made yesterday. I'm still mad as can be but I feel kind of sorry for someone who feels they have to do something like that. Their life has to be pretty darn empty of something.

Tho the tractor idea is still in my head running around!!
big_smile.png

Kitt,

First, your post made me cry. I am not an old softy, but the thought of the terror of your silkie made me loose it. I just lost several chicks to a dog, so that is still fresh. I had to cull three that didn't get killed but injured, and that is even harder, poor things.
hit.gif

One thing: If it is a weasel of the normal kind, try this: Take a small can of tuna or cat food and cut an X in the top of the can, pushing the edges in a bit in the middle, so the weasel can stick his head in, but the sharp points stick to his head. He will then run off with the can on his head, hopefully to never get it off. Put it where the dog can't get to it though, as he will pick up the whole can and chew it.

Second: Security cameras at Sam's Club are $250 for 2 cameras, a monitor that will take up to 4 cameras and a remote. It scans, zooms and pans, with night vision. I just bought one, it is wireless, you can hook it to your DVR to record if needed and goes up to 500 feet away. I'd hide it, never mention it and point it at the coop door.

Third: Even a restraining order is not worth much, but at least the police will know you were worried. I wish you luck.

Fourth: I would get Widget HER diapers and never let her out. She is so helpless, can't see well, can't fly, can even run very fast compared to a regular chicken, Maybe when she is older and wiser and your "weasel" has been caught she may go to the coop. Please don't give up on having something that gives you pleasure just because an arse was jealous of the attention/$$ your birds were getting. He is over 30 and living at home with nothing, I believe you can't help someone who won't help himself.

I sure wish you could cull human weasels like you can other predators. It only seems fair. I wish your DH a speedy trip home when he can and you the best of luck. And if I had the pattern for silkie diapers, I'd mail it to you.

Big Hug to you from me.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Aww thank you so much.
hugs.gif

I can only imagine what Widget went thru and what she has seen. We are looking at getting cams. One for the pens, one for the gate and one to scan the pasture. By the time I'm done it is going to look like I'm guarding a national treasure. I'm sitting here drawing up plans and thinking of what else I can do.

I am looking into getting more chicks. 50-100. Widget is becoming quite the house chicken. She (goodness I hope not a he) loves her pillow on the bed and getting her treats there. She has a little box on its side with some soft material in it that she goes into and naps when she isn't napping on me. I went out and bought some bird toys that she likes. Tho she won't let me see her playing with them. LOL I have to catch her doing it. She takes her cheerios and now carries them with her. I think she has watched my dog a little too much.

Kitt,

I couldn't sleep for the storm here in KY tonight, so I thought I'd look you up and see that you are okay. I see you've posted recently, so yeah! My new cameras still in the box, but maybe this weekend I'll get it up and running. Good luck with your new chicks! Take care.

Hugs, Tammy

PS: boy the thunder is CLOSE, yikes.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom