Just need to vent...

The fact that she has a lot on her plate does not rule out the other things. Hasn't she always had a lot on her plate? Actually, if there is someting seriously wrong, you will know soon enough because the symptoms will keep getting worse. But that does not mean she shouldn't be checked out now.

It does sound like there is something more important going on here than just her smoking. Her suddent memory and personality changes would have me very worried if that were my mother. Dementia is a scary thing. Those kinds of patients think they're still living life from 10-20 years ago which could also explain why she's smoking again. It's what she did 10 years ago.
I do understand the smoking issue though. I'm 4 months smoke free and my habit still gets the best of me. When I see my mother go out for a cigarette, habit tells me to go,too but my brain is reminding me that I don't do that anymore. I will say though, there are some days when I just want to go buy a pack and smoke the whole thing but I know I'll lose my weight again (I"m 5 feet and less than 100 pounds) and I've worked too hard to gain these 5 pounds just to lose them again over something so stupid LoL
But seriously, it sounds like your Mom needs to see a doc. And they could help her quit again.

Quote:
Honestly, she sounds severely stressed. This can lead to MAJOR health issues, mentally & physically.

And if I were in her shoes, my DD would not have an option to work for me or not. She would. Period. Two reasons: 1- I would not give her a choice. 2- She steps up where needed. She is a college student now, and if I asked her to work for me at my business, she would.

DD is a college student, has owned her car since before she could drive, I had bought it for me...she wanted it so we kept it, and never she did get her license. So I take her to class and anywhere else she wants to go. She has zero interest in driving. Her dad has always told her she did not have to work as long as she was in school and making good grades, but she is expected to help with the house & farm responsibilities. WITHOUT PAY.

I do not see why you won't work for her...even getting paid-which means the job would help her and yourself - especially with you getting paid and helping your mom out also... almost everyone has to do things we do not like at some point. I am sure my DD does not like the responsibility of feeding and watering all our animals at least once or twice a week, but she does it when I have a migraine and can't, and rarely complains.

Chiropractors & Therapists cannot relieve the burdens of responsibilities. Only someone willing to help physically can do that.

Encourage her to see a doctor, also. Not just a therapist. Tests are probably needed to rule out something more serious than stress, and also to see if she is damaging anything like her heart from the stress itself. Sometimes medication is needed to help people through rough patches, too.

Well, I quit for a year. I was perfectly fine with it, barely craved a puff. Then the loss of my husband's job and lots of other bad things happened. I forced myself to start smoking again because I do not drink and I do not take drugs, even those pretty little doctor prescribed ones
wink.png
. Smoking was the only thing I could think to do to keep my nerves calm.

Until you have been a smoker long term, you really cannot know what its like to quit. It sucks and its nasty and unhealthy but, it is her business. I agree with the mental thing, it sounds like she is having a lot of problems and you should be more supportive of your mommy.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom