Just noticed a lethargic hen in the coop...

Kaceyx73

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
I just went out to give treats (wild bird seed with wheat spread on the ground) to my flock and noticed 1 hen that seemed very lethargic. She isn't moving around much, but isn't staying in the coop or anything. She seems to stay on the edge of where the rest are, but she isn't eating seed at all. She still seems healthy looking, other than the lethargy. No coughing or sneezing, eyes look bright, other than slower than usual blink. She is carrying her tail flat, with her head slightly raised.

She is a hatchery Rhode Island Red, and about 8 months now. Yesterday was nothing but rain, so i didn't go out much to notice anything out of the ordinary. I hope ts just being tired, and I will try to snap a pic of her behavior. I'll also try to watch her more to see if I notice her poo and let you guys know as well. Are there any particular signs that I need to be on the look out for? At what point do I segregate her, just in case? Any thoughts?

Is she walking like a penguin? She might be an internal layer. Did you check to see if she is egg bound? Also check her for mites or lice and check to make sure her crop is not larger than normal. It could be any number of things.

Get back to us.

Back
Top Bottom