Just one not all

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sc00ter4900, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi Ihad 6 ladies. Now 5. Around 3pm my dogs went crazy. I work nights but woke up thinking the kids had company I went back to sleep. On my way to work I went to the coop to tuck my girls in.In front of the door was a RI Red on the out side of the coop. Her guts were eaten compleatly out. Im not sure what did this, Is it possible that the other chickens ganged up on her? Just a thought. Im so up set about this . Im waking up at noon to check on them . So far no more dead.What ever it was only killed one. Im hope the ladies didnt do this. Thanks Scotty

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Is your run enclosed on the top? .. Sounds like abird of prey to me ... Although it is possible if she was injured the others could have ganged up on her ..But I would think it would take awhile for 5 chickens to eat much... Sorry about your loss .. Hope you find out the culprit....

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Is your op free-range, or do you have a run? Sounds like a hawk or owl attack. Chickens would leave lots of pecking wounds around head and not likely would rip open body cavity. Coon would eat head. Birds of prey open body cavity to eat. No way you could have gotten there in time tho. By the time you heard it, the deed was done. [​IMG]

4. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    The next morning when I got home from work I saw a realy big hawk or eagle not sure what you call it but it was checking out my coop. I didnt think we had them that close. This bird was so big that if it was the one it could of flown off with the hen.Ill have to put wire across run but we have a storm comming tonight. My run is 20 x 13 . 6 feet tall not sure how to go about it. Might have to wait till spring when the groun thaws. Not sure how to put a cover on the run? This really stinks. I put a lot of time into my ladies . What a waste, My hens are friendly too . I love there company.I didnt think the hens would become pets but they have. Thanks for listening Scotty

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    sounds like an owl but it could have been a hawk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by