Just ordered a hova bator thermal air flow, any tips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjascrub69, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Im used to using a turbo fan incubator, but i gave it to my cousin for christmas, so do any of you have tips for a better hatch? Should i do anything differently, or should i just do everything the same as i did with the turbo fan?

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your new bator..

I'm going to state what I state for any new bators regardless of the brand, or design. Make sure you know how it works.. I would set it up a for a couple of days. Check temps and humidity for both incubating and hatching. Once you feel as though you have the hang of it, put some eggs in it and go!

3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Congrats on the new 'Bator!

In addition the above statements:

Be sure to place it in an draft free area. I have noticed with my Hova-bator that drafts can cause temp swings, so keep it as draft free as possible.

unless you like turning eggs by hand, it would be a wise investment to get an automatic turner.

To help with humidity, use a towel (paper or cloth) to help maintain it. I roll a towel up and place it the bottom of the 'Bator, with a corner in the water well, so it acts as a wick. I have noticed that the water wellls alone don't do well with maintaining humidity at times.

I'm sure other will have more, but that's what I have to offer.

Good luck with your hatches! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by